Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Anyone use Penzoil Synchromesh in T56 ??

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2006, 07:48 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Anyone use Penzoil Synchromesh in T56 ??

It's like $6.00 / Qt. is this just like the Gm synchromesh?
Old 01-05-2006, 07:21 PM
12 Second Club

I think it is the GM Synchromesh, but no one knows for sure (GM and Pennzoil won't say, for obvious reasons).
Old 01-08-2006, 01:24 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Im using it in a 2002 tranny with the carbon synchro linings. Works well, although ive noticed in the extreme cold the first couple of shifts grind just a touch (not audibly) if you shift too quickly. Nothing im worried about, dosnt even bother me, but figured id throw it out there.
Old 01-08-2006, 02:54 PM
10 Second Club

Found this info on the internet:

Pennzoil Synchromesh Fluid can be purchased as that brand or as the equivalent products: GM Synchromesh, Texaco Synchromesh, or Quaker State Synchromesh (Quaker State is part of Pennzoil). GM Synchromesh retails for about $10 per quart bottle at GM dealerships. Pennzoil Synchromesh is sold at many Auto Zone auto parts stores for about $5 per quart and should be available from Pennzoil distributors.

Pennzoil-Quaker State Synchromesh is a unique transmission and transaxle fluid that is not API "GL" rated. It has an approximate gear oil grade of about SAE 80W and can be used when temperatures range from -40ºF (-40ºC) to 300ºF (150ºC). According to Pennzoil's product description it is "formulated with high quality paraffinic base stocks, a fluidity modifier, multifunctional performance additives, corrosion inhibitors, a foam suppressor and a shear stable viscosity index improver additive. It provides excellent oxidation stability, low temperature performance, excellent synchronizer performance and compatibility with yellow metals, such as bronze, brass and copper components found in manual transaxles and transmissions." This description makes Synchromesh suitable for use in some transaxles or transmissions where GL-4 gear oils are specified.

Dan
Old 01-14-2006, 02:30 PM
Shu
On The Tree

i used it for awhile, definately shifted smoother.
Old 01-14-2006, 03:13 PM
Teching In

i have a friend with an integra. we converted his car from automatic to manual. the tranny someone sold us had a 3rd gear grind. we put in synchromesh and after a few hours/days of driving it "healed up" the grind and shifted a whole lot smoother.

it took awhile to work itself in but once it did. it worked really well
Old 01-14-2006, 06:16 PM
Launching!

I just changed my tranny fluid to Pennzoil Syncromesh and it seems pretty much like the GM stuff, I'm sure pennzoil won't say because of an Agreement with GM. However. I had a few light gear grinds before and I've put about 300 miles on the car since the change and while the grinds aren't completely gone... they seem to be going away. They do still occur when the car is real cold however, but that seems normal.

Quick Reply: Anyone use Penzoil Synchromesh in T56 ??