Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

adjust side tension on 56 shifter?

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2006, 02:47 PM
On The Tree

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Default adjust side tension on 56 shifter?

Is it possible to adjust the resistance to movement left to right in the T56 shifter? Somehow put in a weaker spring (assuming there is a spring loaded thing causing the resistance?)

I find my shorter than stock shift lever to be waaay too hard to go left to right in nuetral. This transfers to being way too hard to go from nuetral to 1st, 4th to 5th, and especially N to R. I really dont want to make the lever longer as it looks correctly placed now, and the actual 1-2, 3-4 shifts feel fine to me. Is there any way I can go about accomplishing this?
Old 01-10-2006, 07:28 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the Hurst Billet. I'm doing a clutch swap and noticed the rubber boot that came with the shifter was ripped and it was dirty inside.....so anyway to the point, I took the shifter apart to clean and there are small springs in it. On the reverse direction there was 2 (an inner and outer) and only one spring on the 1-2 side. So at least with the Hurst you could possible find different springs, don't know if stock or other brands use springs, but it isn't like there's too much more technological break throughs left for the shifter that they would have something else. The big question is can you take it apart without having to break it?
Old 01-10-2006, 09:05 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I did a writeup with pics about this problem last year on the Pro shifter. Not sure how the guts of the stock shifter looks though. I'm sure it's the same principal. I used small cut down bolt heads as spacers under the springs to increase the tension on one side. It made a nice difference centering the lever on my shifter. See if this link might help some.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/manual-transmission/217944-increasing-spring-pressure-pro-5-0-cheap-easy.html

Quick Reply: adjust side tension on 56 shifter?