Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Removal of T56 synchro keys?

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2006, 02:27 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Removal of T56 synchro keys?

I have been building manuals for years but I am about to attempt my first T56 rebuild. The question I ask is about removal of the 3 detent keys (dogs i've always know them by) on the inner slider hub that help hold the outer hub in the neutral position. These are a common breaking problem on abused muncie 4 speed tranny's and i've always just removed them since the internal linkage controls slider position anyway. I've also heard of T56's having the same problem and they make tool steel keys to remedy this. What I want to know has anyone just removed them all together and if so have you had any problems by doing this? The main purpose that I can tell they are for is to keep the sliders from vibrating and causing more tranny noise. It makes a tranny shift much smoother without them.
Old 01-12-2006, 07:08 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You can remove them altogether but you must leave the friction rings in place to complete the stack up . Of course, this will make a crash box out of it - that is it will clash-shift every shift because the synchronizing function is defeated.
Old 01-12-2006, 08:20 AM
TECH Senior Member

I guess I will see when I tear into it. An old muncie's syncros will work just fine without the dogs. Thanks.
Old 01-12-2006, 11:35 AM
TECH Fanatic

working fine is relative. If you are adept at speed matching, no synchros are needed. Most cannot do this and the synchronizer is required for street driving.
BTW I forgot to say leave the hoop springs out with the struts/ dogs/inserts/keys
Old 01-12-2006, 01:47 PM
TECH Senior Member

Removing the hoop spring is a given. The muncie tranny's I have done in the past shifted like stock with the keys removed. They weren't a crash box. I have a Liberty pro-shifted M22 muncie that is a real crash box. I was unsure about the multiple piece synchro operation in the T56, the Muncie's are a one piece. I guess I will find out when I tear into it. If it's like you said I guess I will be leaving them in there.
Old 01-13-2006, 12:48 AM
Staging Lane

I sheared mine pretty good. I don't see why you would want them out. The resistance they cause to shifting isn't that much. you can operate the slider by hand even with them in place. Mine felt horrible going into gear without the keys, I guess it was like butter, but no positive "pop" in and out, even with the spring loaded ball on the shifter rail. The keys really help the in/out of gear feel.
Old 01-13-2006, 05:48 AM
TECH Senior Member

When you say sheared are you talking about the speed teeth on the syncro you sheared due to them being out? I do understand more load on the synchro speed teeth do to it having to line up with the hub in order to engage. I like the feel of it falling into gear though. That is a plus for me. Of course I love racing with my Liberty M22 but on the road it gets old.
Old 01-13-2006, 10:37 AM
TECH Fanatic

I think he is talking about sheared struts.
Old 01-13-2006, 11:56 AM
TECH Fanatic

I would not take the keys out. They are the main force that holds the tranny in gear. The detent ball at the shifter is really not very strong for holding gears.

I would just put some billet keys in, thats what I did when I rebuilt mine.
Old 01-13-2006, 02:19 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by bowtieman81
I would not take the keys out. They are the main force that holds the tranny in gear. The detent ball at the shifter is really not very strong for holding gears.

I would just put some billet keys in, thats what I did when I rebuilt mine.
I think that would just be the best thing to do. I believe you are right about the detent ball not holding tight enough to be safe. The detent system in the old Muncie's was tight. Thanks.
Old 01-13-2006, 05:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Yep the muncies had a stronger setup for holding gears. I have reubilt a few M21/M22 trans. You won't have much trouble with the T56
Old 01-13-2006, 11:06 PM
TECH Senior Member

Thanks
Old 01-15-2006, 09:15 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by mjhoward
When you say sheared are you talking about the speed teeth on the syncro you sheared due to them being out? I do understand more load on the synchro speed teeth do to it having to line up with the hub in order to engage. I like the feel of it falling into gear though. That is a plus for me. Of course I love racing with my Liberty M22 but on the road it gets old.
I sheared the synchro keys on the 3/4 synchro. It was caused by overshifting 4th gear. I think this happens because the slider extends too far and the keys get caught between the inner and outer hubs wich are momentarilly not at the same speed. basically they get cut in half rather nicely and end up stuck to the magnets. I learned not to slam 4th too hard.
Old 11-14-2019, 09:36 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by TurboGibbs
I have been building manuals for years but I am about to attempt my first T56 rebuild. The question I ask is about removal of the 3 detent keys (dogs i've always know them by) on the inner slider hub that help hold the outer hub in the neutral position. These are a common breaking problem on abused muncie 4 speed tranny's and i've always just removed them since the internal linkage controls slider position anyway. I've also heard of T56's having the same problem and they make tool steel keys to remedy this. What I want to know has anyone just removed them all together and if so have you had any problems by doing this? The main purpose that I can tell they are for is to keep the sliders from vibrating and causing more tranny noise. It makes a tranny shift much smoother without them.
Sorry for pulling this thread out it's tomb, but did you managed to test the T56 without the keys??

I have an S1 Sequential shifter so keeping the gear in place is not a problem, I just want to know if removing the keys work.

Thanks
Old 11-14-2019, 11:13 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by GTA Man
Sorry for pulling this thread out it's tomb, but did you managed to test the T56 without the keys??

I have an S1 Sequential shifter so keeping the gear in place is not a problem, I just want to know if removing the keys work.

Thanks
The shifter is not what holds you in gear. It’s the design of the clutching teeth of the synchronizer sleeve and how it mates to the clutch teeth on the gear.
struts are what move the friction cones to match sleeve speed to gear speed....synchronize.
leaving the struts an hoop springs out defeats the synchronizer. To shift , You clash the clutching teeth of the sleeve and gear until they mesh. This is what dog boxes do but they use heavier dog tooth designs so the don’t clash-off so readily.
Old 11-14-2019, 11:24 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by calhoon
The shifter is not what holds you in gear. It’s the design of the clutching teeth of the synchronizer sleeve and how it mates to the clutch teeth on the gear.
struts are what move the friction cones to match sleeve speed to gear speed....synchronize.
leaving the struts an hoop springs out defeats the synchronizer. To shift , You clash the clutching teeth of the sleeve and gear until they mesh. This is what dog boxes do but they use heavier dog tooth designs so the don’t clash-off so readily.
Thanks for the input 👍

Quick Reply: Removal of T56 synchro keys?