Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

new clutch, cant put in gear.

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2006, 03:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default new clutch, cant put in gear.

i installed a new clutch last weekend and every since i have been having probs putting the car in gear at a dead stop. if im driving it shifts fine, but at a complete stop the car doesnt want to go in any gear, and reverse is a double fisted ordeal. i bled the hydraulics a gabillion times and i know that isnt the case although i still have about a inch of play at the top of the pedal. i read about pressure plate bolts backing out and to loc tite them. so that is my next step. are there any other things i should look at while i have it apart? i thought i had the pressure plate mated to the flywheel just fine, but now im second guessing myself. i torqued all the bolts to the limits givin. my only thought is that there are some bolts backing out. anyone have some other idea's? comments, suggestions? anyoen else gone through this? if so what did you do to fix? thanks

Jon
Old 01-14-2006, 04:04 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You probably need to bleed it a different way, not more. What method did you use?
Old 01-14-2006, 07:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

just had it on a lift, someone sat inside the car and pumped it several times then held it in on the last one, and i cracked the bleed and tightened back up. did that time and time again.

Jon
Old 01-14-2006, 08:04 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

you need a shim
Old 01-15-2006, 09:28 AM
TECH Fanatic

well im taking the clutch out when i get a chance and retorqing the pressure plate bolts and loc titeing them. so hopefully that will cure some things. if all looks well when i take it apart i will look into a shim...

Jon
Old 01-15-2006, 09:38 AM
TECH Addict

When you have it all apart you might as well bench bleed the master just in case.
Old 01-15-2006, 09:43 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by P Mack
When you have it all apart you might as well bench bleed the master just in case.
ya thats a good idea. where is that master located? all i did when i changed clutches was install a new slave, ect. is the master up by the reservoir?

Jon
Old 01-15-2006, 09:48 AM
TECH Addict

It's kind of underneath the brake booster. But if you didn't change the master then nevermind, that's probably not your problem. People usually run into problems when they change the master and don't bench bleed.
Old 01-15-2006, 09:50 AM
TECH Apprentice

Did you go with a stock clutch or better one? You may have to go with a adjustable master. I made my factory unit adjustable to help me out with my Ram HD.

The master is just under the brake booster. It is a fun one to get to for removal and installing
Old 01-15-2006, 04:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

i installed a textralia. i dont plan on messing with the master if i aint got to. ill just leave it be, and take the clutch out and reinstall. pisses me off i have to take it all back out, but ill see it as a leason learned! i just hate doing things twice, but since it was my first clutch install i didnt know any better. so whatever.

Jon
Old 01-15-2006, 09:57 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Before you take it out call textralia. The problem you describe is the clutch not releasing all the way. I suspect you still have air in there and would recommend you bleed it with a mightyvac.
Old 01-15-2006, 09:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by DaddySS
Before you take it out call textralia. The problem you describe is the clutch not releasing all the way. I suspect you still have air in there and would recommend you bleed it with a mightyvac.
ill do that. ill call tomorrow and see what they say. if that is it (i hope to god) then that will be a huge ease on my mind.

Jon
Old 01-17-2006, 08:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

turns out it was a bleeding issue. but now im parinoid and i think i will still pull it this weekend to loctite those bolts. but yes, pete from textralia told me i was bleeding the clutch wrong and i did it his way and it worked alot better.

my way: (wrong)
-pump
-last pump hold down pedal
-crack bleed
-close bleed
-let pedal up, continue bleeding

textralia way: (correct)
-pump
-leave pedal out
-crack bleed
-smoothly push pedal in (air comes out or pure fluid if its bled all the way) keep pedal pushed down and close bleed
-let pedal out
-check resovoir
-whole process over again if neccesary

thats the right way of doing it...much better results

Jon

Quick Reply: new clutch, cant put in gear.