Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Anyone running a Meleod steel bellhousing

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2006, 05:08 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Anyone running a Meleod steel bellhousing

I am trying to get a mcleod steel bellhousing in my car and am have a few problems. The motor plate which goes between the bellhousing and the block is rubbing the flywheel. Do I have to buy a special flywheel for this bellhousing to work? Also the clutch pressure plate bolts are going all the way through the flywheel and binding against the motor plate. I can get shorter bolts, but the flywheel itself will still be rubbing. Plus, none of the bolts they sent with the kit are the correct thread pitch. I should have known when I saw the sticker on it that said "made in Taiwan" that it was going to be a real piece of crap. Also, the depth of the belhousing is the same as the factory one, but the motor plate sandwiched between the two is going to make it about an 1/8" thicker than the stock one. Has anyone else had any problems like this?
Old 01-20-2006, 05:11 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

did u get your flywheel resurfaced??? if so it needs a spacer. If not i dont know
Old 01-20-2006, 05:27 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Yes the flywheel has been resurfaced, but that would only cause the bolts to extend trought the flywheel too far. That wouldn't affect how it is rubbing everywhere else. We just found that the lip of the oil pan is not flush with the surface of the block that the bellhousing bolts to, which was causing the motor plate to bulge out slightly. Now we're grinding the back of the oil pan down to make it flush with the rest of the back of the block. Maybe that will solve the problem.
Old 01-20-2006, 08:37 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

We'll, grinding the back of the oil pan worked. Also had to shorten the clutch bolts. I really wish they sent the right bolts, because now I have to find 10 x 1.5 metric allen head bolts to bolt the bellhousing to the block (stock bolts heads are too large to get a socket on with the new bellhousing)
Old 01-21-2006, 08:51 AM
TECH Apprentice

Wheres the wright up on this? I seen it awhile ago and now I am looking for it to do mine. Its a complete write up on everything that needs to be done and what to modify.
Old 01-21-2006, 02:22 PM
On The Tree

Try this link https://ls1tech.com/forums/manual-transmission/258875-mcleod-sfi-bellhousing-installed-pics-info-within.html