Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

3 days and WHAT THE F@#k!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2006, 11:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default 3 days and WHAT THE F@#k!!!!

ok so i bought an 02 Z28 M6 on thursday brand new with 25k miles.....

to the important **** i did get a 90 day warranty against any malfunctions or defects.....

to the problem....so ive put 350 miles on the car total of all nice easy loving driving and i did get on it from time to time but NO HARD SHIFTING or anything like that and me and my friend anthony (a member here) were on the highway headed down to worcester, ma where a lot of ppl go and while on the high way we get on it and i pushed it to 140 with NO HARD SHIFTING, no grinding or any bad **** i am very good at stick and when i let off and press the brakes i believe i was in 5th and it just popped out...from there i went to put it in 6 and it just wouldnt go in and then back in 5th and it wouldnt go in...it wouldnt go in any gear so i pulled over and shut it off for a bit then went again...now all i got is 1-4, 5th pops out and 6 just wont go in.... at this time im getting so pissed cause the damn car is brand new and i take it easy all the way since i can only go into 4th. once in the city, gears 1-3 make a nice wine type noise, more of a gear meshing on gear noise as if it had no tranny fluid which is what im thinking cause honestly i dont see what else could have caused this. but the wierd thing i dont get is when its in 4th there is no whine noise that i can hear at all??
what could be wrong and if i was sold a car that had no tranny fluid, they should either replace it all or rebuild the entire thing right? especially seeing as i have a warranty?
Old 01-21-2006, 11:43 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

either way you got fucked, just take it back and let them handle the problem. Stop worrying about it.
Old 01-22-2006, 06:11 AM
TECH Fanatic

well i dont wanna return the car...its really hard to find one like this. hard top and absolutely no options except for a cd player. and black M6, just how ive always wanted. but i am definately taking it back and demanding repairs. i just wanted to know if anyone else thought that maybe there was no tranny fluid?
Old 01-22-2006, 08:54 AM
Shirley Temple Drinker

IDK what to do but just wanted to say bad *** car. Im very weird about stripers, I love the **** out of them, but don't know if I could ever own one.. But mad props for finding a 02 black on black stripper...

And BTW, the CD player is standerd, not optional, just like AC.
Old 01-22-2006, 09:05 AM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by C Murda
well i dont wanna return the car...its really hard to find one like this. hard top and absolutely no options except for a cd player. and black M6, just how ive always wanted. but i am definately taking it back and demanding repairs. i just wanted to know if anyone else thought that maybe there was no tranny fluid?
Take it back were you brought it and make them fix it
Old 01-22-2006, 09:27 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Can't you answer one of your own questions and check yourself if there is any tranny fluid?
Old 01-22-2006, 10:53 AM
TECH Fanatic

Call them up, and calmly tell them you would like them to fix it. They might bust your *****, but probably have to fix it if they can't prove it was your fault. I would not mention the 140mph thing lol. Don't get all defensive about how you drive it. The trans is designed to withstand the 300+hp the car comes with. I think ultimately they do have the right to just give you your money back, but if they threaten this, then you can decide to give it back or keep it and get it fixed yourself. That happened to me once, blew a cv joint the day after I bought a car once. I had to get it fixed because they said they'd just give me my money back.
Old 01-22-2006, 11:10 AM
11 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It's not going to be tranny fluid. More than likely a slider. They are going to have to tear it apart (duh!).

Good luck!
Old 01-22-2006, 11:52 AM
Teching In

hehehe.. I am going through this too! Just bought the car and the tranny grinded in 4th. I took it back and the used car guy was like "well, it's a used car! Tough luck". That didn't cut it for me. I went to the general manager and pulled him aside and explained that I traded him a perfectly good used car for this car that I thought was right and it wasn't. And if they couldn't fix it, I'd take my old car back. Well all in all, I paid 350 towards a $2,600 repair bill. And the kicker was that when I got it back, it was more broke than when I gave it to them! So now I'm balancing a new pressure plate and flywheel because of a vibration when the car came back. So this is the 2nd time the tranny has been out of the car in 1 week. idiots. If it doesn't come back right this time, I'm comming unglued.
Old 01-22-2006, 02:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

ya im really hoping that that doesnt happen to me as i have a weird feeling that if i have them fix it, something else is gonna mysteriously go wrong..... but ya the warranty says pretty much everything is covered so they gotta fix it. id feel better doing it myself but i just dont have the time and i know that the warranty wouldnt cover that. now how do i check the fluid in a M6? i know there is a tube along the tranny but wouldnt i have to drop it?
Old 01-22-2006, 10:58 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by C Murda
ya im really hoping that that doesnt happen to me as i have a weird feeling that if i have them fix it, something else is gonna mysteriously go wrong..... but ya the warranty says pretty much everything is covered so they gotta fix it. id feel better doing it myself but i just dont have the time and i know that the warranty wouldnt cover that. now how do i check the fluid in a M6? i know there is a tube along the tranny but wouldnt i have to drop it?

You're going to have to drain it to inspect it.
Old 01-23-2006, 09:03 AM
TECH Fanatic

ya id do that but then when i bring it down, they will say i fooled around with the thing....but anyways im headed down there now and it SNOWING!!! i hate new england weather
Old 01-23-2006, 11:06 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Get your money back on the car. If they don't know what they're doing and send it to a monkey trans shop you're just asking for nothing but a bunch of problems. Worse yet, if they don't put it back together right it will probably take a bit of time before you run into any other problems. At that point they're gonna tell you tough luck, and considering it's a used car they're legally within their rights to do so. That's what I'd do with it, especially if you're not up to pulling and installing the trans yourself in the future if it gets screwed up.
Old 01-23-2006, 11:11 AM
TECH Addict

if they repair it.. and while its stripped... GET A STEEL 3-4 SHIFT FORK!! it should only be a few dollars more than a stocker.. but it is a MUST to have..
Old 01-23-2006, 01:53 PM
11 Second Club

IF they tear it down all the way it would be worthwhile to get the aluminum piece replaced. But if I'm not mistaken 01-02's already came with the steel fork, I could be very wrong on that but worth asking.

The thing is reverse and 5-6 assemblies are accesible through the tailshaft of the tranny. They won't need to go any deeper than that. They'd have to remove the rest of the case to get to the rest of the gears. It could potentially be an easy fix.
Old 01-23-2006, 08:28 PM
10 Second Club

If they tear the trans down get a set of billet slider keys from G-force transmissions in P.A. This will keep your tranny from having to come apart again for a real long time
Old 01-25-2006, 03:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

ok so i got the call today and the ******** is trying to blame me!!!! first thing he says is "how many donuts have you done?" i cant believe he had the nerver to ask that when i havnt done anything to the car. he's saying the main input shaft id damaged and some seals and possibly some gears.... then he says this car has been very abused when ive only owned it for 5 days now 3 of which i hadnt driven it and i only put just under 400 easy miules on it to and from work, granted i did take it up to speed but there was absolutely no hard shifting and i can honestly say it was perfect shifting the entire time ive owned it. thats it! there is no possible way a T56 can just break those parts by getting up to speed unless the car was seriously abused before me. now im trying to tell the guy that seeing as he got the car from someone in NH that a no option hard top 6 speed camaro is usually bought to be raced and im sure the 1st owner beat the living **** out of that tranny or just didnt know how to drive. but he tries telling me that the car was fine when he and the other dealer ppl drove it and it had been checked out. im sure the loser pulled the tranny to check for any possible damage before he sold it...ya right....haha. well anyways ontop of all that the guy is thinking im just some dumb kid who wants a camaro, when in fact ive been dealing driving camaros my whole life and been around people with LS1s for a long time now. i know how these cars are and what people like to do with them.

now what should i do? i really dont want to just flat out return it and get my money back cause this is a very very hard to find car (2002 25k miles black M6 hardtop Z28 with absolutely no options). everything on the car is mint except for the tranny now. i am aware of the lemon law for my state and i do have a full 90 day warranty by the dealer i got the car from. i just want it fixed by a certified GM dealer. he even told me they dont do transmissions and i would have to send the car to Worcester to get it fixed? estimated $1200. can i by law have him pay for the repairs by a GM dealer? i did not abuse the car so there is no possible way of him proving i did it.
Old 01-25-2006, 07:12 PM
TECH Junkie

If the car is under warranty i would think they would have to fix it...that being said they can fight it and you may lose the battle. you may be better off just telling them you want to end the deal....you'll find another nice camaro....I think its obvious the previous owner abused the hell outta the car and cleaned it up nicely, I think Id RUN not walk from that car.
Old 01-25-2006, 08:20 PM
10 Second Club

I know in PA if you have a problem like this that shows up very soon after the car is purchased they must fix it or buy it back, and this applies for cars sold as is. And covers like cracked heads, blocks, bad trannies. I would contact the better buisness beuro(sp?) in your area if they give you any more crap
Old 01-25-2006, 08:40 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

PM me where you got the car.If it's near me I might be able to go there with you and talk to the guy.I can make him look stupid pretty quickly

Quick Reply: 3 days and WHAT THE F@#k!!!!