Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

reverse trouble

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2006, 09:02 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default reverse trouble

hey guys ive been doing some searching and cant really find any post on the problem im having.i got a 2000 z28 m6 and the reverse is really tricky if u dont get it just right it will pop out of gear.if u push agianst the gear hard before u push the clutch in that will get it to work most of the time.all the other gears work just fine i no its not right and im worried it might become a bigger problem.im a noob and dont really no anything about trannys so any info you have would help me out alot thanx.
Old 01-22-2006, 11:00 PM
Teching In

I wouldn't worry about this to awful much. I have a 97 with the 6 speed and its been doing the EXACT same thing you described since I bought it. Where you have to push it in to get it to not pop out. A 2001 I test drove also did the same exact thing. I've heard of this happening on other T56 applications and they said it wasnt to out of the ordinary.
Old 01-22-2006, 11:09 PM
11 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You're right it isn't normal.

I had the same problem with mine. I would put it into reverse and it would pop out. I would have to slowly let the clutch out and wait for it to "kick" and then I could leave it in gear without having to worry about it popping out. If I didn't play with it right I would "grind" the "gears" (more like the synchros).

I never did fix it, it's still sitting in my garage. I ended up buying a new tranny that needed to be rebuilt and ran through it. If you want to fix it yourself you're in luck. The reverse assembly is in the tailshaft of the tranny and is REALLY easy to get to. If I'm not mistaken you need to replace the reverse synchros.

I think I have some pictures of the assembly from my rebuild you're interested.
Old 01-22-2006, 11:35 PM
Teching In

well poop. lol. i guess my car needs more work than i thought. I'm going to go cry now.
Old 01-23-2006, 07:02 AM
Teching In

thanx for the info guys im glad that its aleast easy to get to.id really like to see those pics cause like i said im a noob and dont really no much bout trannys but if i see some pics i can usally fake my way thourgh somethng lol.
Old 01-23-2006, 07:38 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Most likely the problem there is the secondary Shift linkage is bent.
I have fixed three of them like that.
Just bend it back strait and stuck it back in.
Problem is , it probabaly messed up the Synchro assemble and possibly the gear.
if those look ok you can fix it pretty much for free.
other wise you will need a new gear , cost a little over 125 bucks.
The sychro assembly can be reused cause you can turn it around after you move the parts that are on it from one side to the other. This assemly is just like the 5-6 but they only use one side of it. so the other side is like new.
Old 01-23-2006, 11:16 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Had a similar problem on my 2000 TA and kept driving on it like an idiot. Ended up having to replace the reverse synchro and gear. I'd have to hold mine in revers and ease the clutch out, the car would "buck" and if I didn't hold it in reverse it would pop out. Occassionally I'd get gear clash trying to get into reverse. The upside is that if you've got the tools, time, and guts it's just about the easiest portion of the internals to get to.
Old 01-24-2006, 10:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

I had the same prob 2. I ran it for a while but it just got worse. Well I'm no mechanic and was in the need of a new clutch. I just got my 00 SS from the shop. My reverse works sweet now. Complete rebuilt on trans with new clutch. My total was $3800 but I had ext warranty. I only paid $1200 for my clutch kit & flywheel, master & slave cylinder, R&R hydraulics & bleed system, serpentine belt plus labor. I'm glad for now since I got a yr warranty on everything. Daily driver
Old 01-24-2006, 11:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

the problem may only be your reverse solenoid. in this case, it wont be very expensive at all. at one point, it took all my force to get the shifter into reverse. the first thing the mechanic(jason @ f-body central) did was check the reverse solenoid. in the end, my problem was that i has a blown fuse. quick fix but i would check your reverse solenoid first. hope this helps
Old 01-26-2006, 03:19 PM
TECH Enthusiast

If it was the reverse solenoid you'd have to push like hell to the right to get into reverse. The solenoid blocks the travel of the shifter to the right preventing it from lining up with the reverse shift gate. The forward and backward motion of the shift isn't affected by the reverse solenoid and it definitely couldn't make it pop out of gear. If you're able to easily move the shifter all the way to the right it's not the solenoid.
Old 01-26-2006, 04:45 PM
TECH Regular

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

It cost me around $300, to replace reverse synchro,gear,blocker ring,and shift fork (basicially reverse is new, LOL). I was having the same problem sometimes it would pop out of gear and then I would have to put it in gear and try again. When I took the tranny apart the teeth on the reverse synchro should have came to a point, but the tips were rounded off because I decided not to fix the problem when I started to notice it. I also changed the shift fork while I had it apart, Just incase. The reverse gear was not as bad as the synchro but the tips of the teeth showed a little wear.Its really not that hard, I have never messed with a tranny before, and the tranny is now back in the car, It shifts into all gears ,and reverse feels perfect..

Quick Reply: reverse trouble