Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Possible Purchase: 98Z - HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2006, 02:10 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Possible Purchase: 98Z - HELP!

I found a guy selling this car for his dad. Its a 98 Z28. Manual windows and locks, white in color with t tops. 150k miles, the owner has a business a few hundred miles away that he visited frequently. Says 120k of the 150 were highway. The car is gorgeous. Asking $3900. THE BAD NEWS! I NEED ADVICE! He says a tranny syncro is bad. I call BS because he says its a dead stick in 5th and 6th, says he can push it into where gear should be but nothing happens. 1-4 work perfect. This isnt a sycro I wouldnt think but something more serious. Anyway the way the guy was acting, they dont care how much they get for the car because they are just trying to get it out of their garage. Im thinking I could prob steal it for about $3000. What would it run me to fix the problem? Is this common?
Old 01-23-2006, 02:50 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Synchros make gears clash when shifting. It's probably not a synchro issue. Sounds like he's completely shredded the gear teeth or broke all the keys on the synchros. If this is the case then the trans has been majorly abused. It could be something wrong with the shift rods/forks but I doubt it.

A replacement trans will run you about 1800.00 if he's really smashed stuff up inside. If he's managed to break metal off the internals of the trans (which it sounds like) and that metal has been bouncing around inside there then the only way to know for sure is to tear it down and inspect. Personally it doesn't sound like it's worth it to me. You could easily sink $600+ in parts into it and that's assuming you do all the work yourself.
Old 01-23-2006, 09:49 PM
12 Second Club

But I could get the car for 3k.... You dont think its worth it?
Old 01-23-2006, 11:23 PM
Launching!

I'd take it to a tranny shop and have em give it a once over and an estimate 3k +2k for a new tranny does't sound bad at all to me

Quick Reply: Possible Purchase: 98Z - HELP!