Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Is it worth it

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2006, 04:32 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Is it worth it

I have a 95 T.A and I replaced the clutch with a new one and a slp pressure plate. I had the flywheel turned and didnt get it balenced to however they are suposed to be done. I have had it like that since late july eairly augest and then the car went away for storage in october. I had no drivability problems but is it worth it to pull the trans again to get the flywheel balenced. Is it going to hurt my engine. Thanks

-Jon
Old 01-23-2006, 06:10 PM
On The Tree

I would think it would not hurt the motor, possiblt cause the clutch to wear out oddly or more. How mant miles on it? I dont tink it would need it imo.
Old 01-23-2006, 07:29 PM
12 Second Club

Well the car has 128,000 and the clutch that i broke didnt have over 10,000 miles on it as it was just replaced when I bought the car. It looked like this when i pulled it out.

That one made 13 track passes on my car thats pretty much stock car. I was only cutting 2.2 60ft times, after the track it blew up 1-2 weeks later. So I then replaced it with a stock clutch disk but upgraded the pressure plate and turned the flywheel. The new clucth that I put in has under 8k miles on it with no drag racing as the 13 passes took my posi out and I was trying to limp it through the rest of the year. Any other input?
Old 01-25-2006, 09:43 AM
Teching In

hmmm that looks like a defect in the clutch itself... Balancing the FW should always be done in this car, as putting in one that you trust to be balanced might not be(my case last week!). Im sure it can be alittle off, like by a few grams, but any more than that and you'll feel it through the steering wheel. the machine shop machined mine crooked in the lathe and made one side 36 grams heavier on one side and that caused a CRAZY vibration in the whole car. It's a good thing that there was something else wrong that caused the dealership to pull the tranny for free so the shop could figure out what they did wrong and own up to it or that would have been out of MY pocket! Look at it this way. 80 bucks is cheaper than 700 bucks to pull the tranny and have to do it over again! I'll say that I'm never going to trust a resurfaced FW is assumed to be balanced again. I think that better ones that you get new, like billet steel and aluminum ones are balanced from the factory. Oh, because the shop boched up mine, they are replacing it with a SPEC aluminum unit.
Old 01-25-2006, 12:29 PM
12 Second Club

That’s good to hear you got everything sorted out and. AS far as the first clutch I think it was just a weird situation as I was bouncing off the limiter when I shifted and it immediately blew. It was weird. But now I have no weird vibrations and the car is smooth, and next time a do a clutch I will be putting in a new flywheel. But for now do you think its worth dropping the trans back out to get it fixed, seeing as I have no vibrations? And thanks for the reply, I appreciate it.
Old 01-27-2006, 11:03 PM
12 Second Club

Any one have any advice to pull it back out or not?

Quick Reply: Is it worth it