Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

C5 clutch install

Old 01-23-2006, 06:11 PM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default C5 clutch install

I am an f body guy but I have a friend that needs a clutch put in his z06. I understand it is really invloved and you have to remove the rear end and the torque tube and all kinds of other crap to get it out. So just how bad it is to do? I work in a shop so I work on cars all day I just don't see any vett's to know how bad it is. If I do this I will doing it at my house where I have a pit to work from. I know he got charged $900 to have that last one put in. so I realize this isn't going to be easy but just how bad? Any input would be awesome
Old 01-24-2006, 07:23 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by dschmittie1
I am an f body guy but I have a friend that needs a clutch put in his z06. I understand it is really invloved and you have to remove the rear end and the torque tube and all kinds of other crap to get it out. So just how bad it is to do? I work in a shop so I work on cars all day I just don't see any vett's to know how bad it is. If I do this I will doing it at my house where I have a pit to work from. I know he got charged $900 to have that last one put in. so I realize this isn't going to be easy but just how bad? Any input would be awesome

In my opinion,....it is a shitty adventure.

It's probably the only thing I didn't like doing on my car. I work on cars everyday as well,...access to pretty much anything gm as far as takeing the cars apart.....all the tools you would need...lifts...air....help.....it still took me HOURS to get this done at my work.

H or x pipe...remove
strap up rear mufflers so they hang
remove swaybar(rear)
remove tie roda, a arms, let them hang...
remove axles/halfshafts.....strap them UP...outta the way.
support the trans....
remove the rear end cradle...DO NOT USE AIR TOOLS WHEN TORQUEING DOWN OR LOSENING UP THE FRONT OR REAR CRADLES IN THE CORVETTE(S). ONLY BY HAND ARE YOU "SUPPOSED" TO REMOVE OR ADD ON.
That said, drop that damn cradle...makeing sure you remove all electrical connectors before you rip the **** outta them.
Remove the metal plate with 8 million screws in it that conceals the torque tube.
You COULD LOOSEN the front engine cradle bolts....which we did later. It made things a bit easier and give you that much more room.
Disconnect again, anything electrical, or any hardwire/lines going to or from the trans or rearend.
slowly lower the trans and diff together...and torque tube.
remove the dust cover/and bellhousing.
Have fun with those top bolts, I think satan put those there.

.....and the rest is kinda obvious.

It was a pian in the ***. I, before this, have never done a clutch in a C5....and it was tough. I added a DTE brace at the same time too but, it still took long(clutchwise)

I'm sure, should I have to do another one(looks like i'm gonna have to do one on my car again but, this time my body is gonna be removed off the drivetrain since i'm doing a motor swap and alot of other BS things) it should be easier even if I did it from the bottom.

I hope you know hwat you are in for,....and have a few extra hands to make your load lighter.

900 bucks,..to me sounds about what "I" would want to charge someone to do it on there car but,....i'm not even sure thats worth it.

Hope this helps.

J
Old 01-24-2006, 02:51 PM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

thanks for the input yeah I am not sure if I Want to take it on or not. I am tempted since I know it will give me a nice chunk of change to buy some more stuff for my car. Guess I gotta think it out some more. But I have done several rear drive tannies in truck with 4wd and several fwd cars where you have to support the motor and take out the cradle. just never anything like a c5
Old 01-24-2006, 02:56 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by dschmittie1
thanks for the input yeah I am not sure if I Want to take it on or not. I am tempted since I know it will give me a nice chunk of change to buy some more stuff for my car. Guess I gotta think it out some more. But I have done several rear drive tannies in truck with 4wd and several fwd cars where you have to support the motor and take out the cradle. just never anything like a c5

True..and likewise. It's a bitch bro. I'm not sure if I want to do my own again, since I can get it done for three hundred bucks from another friend. He does them everyday on corvettes, and I rarely work on vettes drivelinewise unless its my own or cousins.

Weigh it out man,....It isn't impossible, just a major bitch, especially for your first time.
Old 01-26-2006, 06:47 AM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I did mine myself...twice. Its not that bad, but just dont plan to have the car in and out in one day on your first try.

Here is a great walkthrough that I went over a few times before tackling the job. http://fear.net/~dope/c5_clutch_install_pics.html
Old 01-26-2006, 07:44 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

We charge $750 and I really don't like doing them.1st one took me 8hr's to do.Now I can do them in 4hr's. I would never attemp to do them on the floor.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: C5 clutch install