Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

removing t56

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2006, 07:14 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default removing t56

i cant seem to find a diagram of the t56 attached to the engine, or even a how to on removing the trans. if anyone could give me a link or something that would be really great.
Old 01-24-2006, 07:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

I think install university has a write up. I've got mine torn apart now, the only part that I'm not really clear on is removing the center console, but my friend that's helping me did it in about 10 minutes. Once you get under the car it's easy. We left in the torque arm and exhaust system.
Old 01-24-2006, 08:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

http://www.installuniversity.com/ins...sity/index.htm

Try that, look under the clutch install.
Old 01-24-2006, 09:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

Anyone know the bellhousing to block torque spec?
Old 01-25-2006, 12:15 PM
TECH Apprentice

Yea for some reason trannys scare i have no i dea why. but i only have the car on jackstands so its hard to manuver under it all i could see was 4 bolts i took out i just want to make sure before i start yanking on it and the car falls on me
Old 01-25-2006, 05:31 PM
TECH Regular

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Racafella13: I just recently removed and re-installed my T-56 from my 95 Firebird. What I did was put the front tires on ramps then set the rear on jack stands (left the jack underneath the rear just incase) put 2 more jackstands under the front,and the ran a ratchet strap around the tire so the car could not move AT ALL, I did not want to take any chances. The car was probably a foot and a half to two feet off the ground and that made it a little more difficult to work on because I did not have much room. I used the write up from Installuniversity.com and a couple others links that I found. The write up on installuniversity.com is for a LS1 powered car, So some of the stuff is different than our LT1 powered cars. The write up is correct for a LT1/T-56 car until you get to the point where is says "Remove the 2 10mm bolts with a 10 mm box-end wrench. Then pull the slave forward and around the front of the input shaft and let hang freely. The transmission can now be lowered and put out of the way" That is for LS1 cars, LT1's have a shift fork. So when you get all 8 bolts that connect the bellhousing to the tranny before you can slide the tranny back you have to remove the 2 nuts that hold the slave cylinder in
Then
move it out of the way, the disengage the shift fork from the throwout (sp?) bearing. I put a jack with a 2x4 underneath the oil pan of the engine so the motor mounts did not have to support all the weight.Then the tranny should slide back and out of the way. I lowered it down with a tranny jack then put the tranny on the floor and slid it out fron underneath the car.
Installation is pretty straight forward just make sure that you remember where the bolts go and where you put them all.

Hope this helps

Here are some links that I used when I did mine.

http://www.installuniversity.com/ins...sity/index.htm
http://www.zmydust.com/lt1clutch.html