Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

what is up with reverse?

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2006, 05:07 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default what is up with reverse?

after ruining a centerforce dual clutch with less than 2k on it by not torquing down the bolts properly, i had a new Luk clutch installed by a professional tranny shop. It was an amazing improvement, I could shift with ease and it grabbed quickly. BUT now, a problem that has always plagued the car, is really apparent. When I start her up and throw her in reverse, sometimes she will just pop out, and make a grinding sound. I take the shifter back to center and go back in, normally that does it.

But it is still B/S, i paid almost a grand for the repairs, I dont like to see any problems. When the old stock clutch was in there, ever since I bought the car, it would take a little more effort to put it in reverse, and rarely pop out. What can this be attributed to?

Also, a new problem that arises is when im in a gear at or around 1500 rpm's, sometimes it will be pretty jerky when I floor it, like the clutch is engaging then disengaging. Does that mean that this clutch is installed poorly as well? If i shift to a different gear and go back, it goes away. As always, any help greatly appreciated.
Old 01-26-2006, 02:48 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you just got the clutch installed you shouldn't be "flooring it". New clutches require a few hundred miles to mate to the pressure plate and flywheel. Keep it up and you'll ruin another clutch.

As for reverse there's a few things it could be, all of which require removing the trans and inspecting. Could be a bent shift fork, bad synchro or dammaged reverse gear. Mine used to do this and I had to replace revese, reverse synchro, and reverse shift pads.
Old 01-26-2006, 05:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Your reverse issues are rooted in the trans but most likely from a poorly releasing clutch. It may be the result of waiting 2k miles to fix what should have been an obvious problem.Why did you wait? It may be that it took awhile of poor set up to eat the trans but, never the less, you have the dues to pay= rebuild of the trans. I feel for ya dumping cash into it but you did not get the job done right AND you aggrevated the problem by driving it in a poor state.

Quick Reply: what is up with reverse?