Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

HELP!! Replacing clutch - pilot bearing question

Old 01-29-2006, 12:27 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question HELP!! Replacing clutch - pilot bearing question

Hey Guys,

I'm in the middle of a clutch swap; OEM for a Spec Stage III with flywheel, pilot bearing and TO bearing. We've gotten the tranny and bellhousing out; pryed out the old pilot bearing and ready to install the new one that came with the kit. Except, I forgot to notice which way the bearing was on in the first place.

The new pilot bearing has teeth on one half and is smooth on the other half, right? Which side goes towards the pressure plate and which side towards the engine? Or are they interchangable? I don't want to get it in the wrong way and assemble the car, only to find out that we did it all wrong to begin with.

Please reply ASAP. Would appreciate any useful information.

Thanks a ton in advance.
- Fred.
Old 01-29-2006, 02:54 AM
TECH Enthusiast

not sure what you mean by teeth. The beveled ( more rounded out) edge goes towards the tranny. Think of it as a little guide for the tranny shaft while putting the tranny back in. If you managed to get the tranny back in with the bearing the wrong way, it wouldn't hurt anything and prove you have great luck! Also, the answer to your question is in a couple of threads on this page.
Old 01-29-2006, 08:01 AM
Teching In

The beveled edge was what I was referring to. So that goes facing the back of the car, right?

Thanks for the info and I did search real quick before I posted this, but couldn't find anything specific to this. If I had more time, I might have been able to find out. Thanks a bunch.
Old 01-29-2006, 03:47 PM
On The Tree

That is correct, also if you place the new pilot bearing in the freezer for an hour or so it will go in much easier.

Search this Thread