Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Please help me with some diagnosis of my tranny problem...

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2006, 07:07 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Please help me with some diagnosis of my tranny problem...

Ok so this morning I went to the gym and on my way back I had to take a road that is REALLY bad... one specific section of it is REALLY bumpy, it jolted around the car quite a bit. Now before this strip of horrid road, my car was normal (or so it would have seemed the way it ran in the last few days).
Right after I go over this series of bumps, The trans makes a horrible grinding noise in ANY gear if I put the throttle past about 10%. If I am really easy on the throttle the car accelerates like normal and doesn't seem like anything is wrong. When you press on the accelerator tho beyond the 10% it makes a sound like the car is only half in gear like a synchro is spinning (that whining/grinding sound).

The car, however, shifts perfectly fine thru all 6 gears and reverse (nursed it home and had to parallel park)... and the clutch is fine, I was in foggy weather and the traffic was bad so I was in 1st gear a lot, pulling out, stop/go, etc. Clutch was just as it always was; normal.

It seems to me like something in the driveline is loose or not totally connected or something. I did notice the other night that when I would shift into 2nd and third hard (street racing, really pushing the car) the car shook like the tranny or something was hitting the undercarriage of the car. This wasn't a vibration but more of a banging. I say this because my theory is the rough/bumpy road shook whatever might've been loose before, and either made it really loose or broke/removed it.

But what would have broken or come loose that I'd have such symptoms? Any ideas or theories?

I can't get the car looked at til Friday (my buddy corey is busy until then) so I'm looking for any theories so I can go and check a bit and maybe help him/myself out.

Thanks in Advance!
Old 01-30-2006, 09:32 AM
Launching!

Broken trans mount? Under Power the trans shifts its positioning and leads to vibration?
Old 01-30-2006, 11:55 AM
Launching!

Well it sounds like the car is half in gear... I wouldn't call it vibration... but if its off center, its a possibility I suppose.
Old 01-30-2006, 01:17 PM
TECH Regular

What makes sense is that something is loose or broken and the driveshaft yoke is smacking against the undercarriage of the car only when you add enough torque to cause it to rise up. Because there are 2 'ears' that stick out, it will cause a machine-gun style noise that will sounds exactly like grinding gears.

this theory also takes in to account the 'slamming' that you heard/felt when street racing as well as the symptoms showing up after a really nasty road section.

Don't drive it this way. You need to get the car lifted somewhat and crawl under to look. If you've got no tools, drive one side up on a curb and get under and look, or borrow a jack and stands or ramps from a neighbor.
Old 01-30-2006, 01:32 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by jyeager
What makes sense is that something is loose or broken and the driveshaft yoke is smacking against the undercarriage of the car only when you add enough torque to cause it to rise up. Because there are 2 'ears' that stick out, it will cause a machine-gun style noise that will sounds exactly like grinding gears.

this theory also takes in to account the 'slamming' that you heard/felt when street racing as well as the symptoms showing up after a really nasty road section.

Don't drive it this way. You need to get the car lifted somewhat and crawl under to look. If you've got no tools, drive one side up on a curb and get under and look, or borrow a jack and stands or ramps from a neighbor.
Well you're describing the exact symptoms... Hopefully thats the issue.
It's parked on the street in front of my house... and we're gonna need to either move it into my garage (around the back of the house) or possibly I'll drive it or have it towed to my friend Corey's garage (its like 7 miles away)...
I'll probably have it towed. Anyways... Thanks man... Hopefully you're right and thats all it is... cuz I don't have the cash to pony up for a rebuilt/used tranny.
Old 01-30-2006, 01:40 PM
TECH Regular

If you have the ability to get under it in your garage, do that first. It might just be a broken or loose bolt at the trans mount. So if it's simple then you can fix it on the spot. After you know what it is, then you could go to the trouble of having it towed.

Post back when you diagnose the problem, I'm curious to know if my guess is right.
Old 01-30-2006, 01:47 PM
Launching!

I'm calling Corey (my best friend and LS1 guy) shortly and I'll see if we can get under tonite later for a bit. But I'm at work now and won't leave til 930. So I'll post late night tonite or tomorrow.
But yeah, I hope you're right... I'll let you know either way
Thanks again!
Old 01-30-2006, 11:38 PM
Launching!

So we got under it tonite... everything looks normal...
Corey test drove it and deduced it was likely the trans with an outside chance of it being the clutch/fly/pp
Time to call LS1Joe I guess.
Old 01-31-2006, 07:23 AM
TECH Regular

Sorry to hear that. Let me know what the problem turns out to be.
Old 01-31-2006, 02:07 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Check the bellhousing and trans case for cracks. Also did you inspect the torque arm to make sure it was bolted tight?
Old 01-31-2006, 06:45 PM
Launching!

Yeah ... the torque arm is secured.
We're gonne drop the tranny this weekend. My father thinks its a PP or throwout bearing (which would be nice)... Corey and I however bothe expect the worst and are considering a replacement from t56rebuilds.com - we'll know sometime this weekend what the verdict is.