Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Clutch Suggestions ???

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2006, 11:56 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Clutch Suggestions ???

My WS-6 has almost 80K miles on it. Getting some noise from the clutch and figure its time to replace it.

I drive about 400 miles per week as it is my daily driver. I also plan to do some occasional drag racing. So far only mod is a lid, cat back soon.

1. What is a good clutch for these conditions?
2. Can I just resurface flywheel or is a new one highly advised?
3. Is the factory bell housing safe enough for my use?
4. How difficult an install is it? (Didn't check installu yet)

Thanks in advance.
Old 01-31-2006, 12:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

1. well spec clutch is a toss up, some people love them some hate them.
Sometimes they work, sometimes they blow up.

With the work involved in replacing a clutch, I would stay away from a love/hate clutch like that.

based on your budget, if you want to save a few bucks stick with the LS6 or better yet check out the LS7 clutch. If you want to drop some cash, go Excedy or Mccloud.

Until my car is making 450+rwhp I will stay with the ls6 or ls7.
The budget clutchs seem to be hit or miss. Too much work involved for a clutch you cant depend on.

2. better off buying a new one. Most places wont resurface anyways, that shaving away strength, even if its only .020" material that is shaved.

3. yes.

4. easy if you dont mind droping the driveshaft, Y-pipe, and trans. The biggest problem I had was the two bolts on the top side of the bell housing.

Plan your clutch build based around your driving habit and how much modding you plan on doing. From recent post, I would say check out the LS7 clutch if your only doing cam/head and bolt on mods. If you plan on doing a 900hp turbo build then pick up a good twin disk, excedy/mccloud.
Old 01-31-2006, 01:07 PM
12 Second Club

look into the centerforce dual friction 12" clutch. You can pm Will Baty....he lurks around LS1tech sometimes. This clutch has a near stock feel and is great for daily driving (my car is my daily driver) and holds up great in WOT runs. I am going to the track this weekend to see how it handles the strip. So i will keep you updated.

Brent
Old 01-31-2006, 01:29 PM
6600 rpm clutch dump of death Administrator

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

My WS-6 has almost 80K miles on it. Getting some noise from the clutch and figure its time to replace it.

I drive about 400 miles per week as it is my daily driver. I also plan to do some occasional drag racing. So far only mod is a lid, cat back soon.

1. What is a good clutch for these conditions? - Textralia has near stock feel and is good to 700 HP
2. Can I just resurface flywheel or is a new one highly advised? The Textralia clutch comes with a new billet flywheel and is part of a balanced assembly
3. Is the factory bell housing safe enough for my use? Many folks use the stock flywheel to pretty insane HP levels. A explosion proff bellhousing is always the safest route, but for a near stock car you should be fine.
4. How difficult an install is it? (Didn't check installu yet) See www.ls1howto.com or do a search of this forum.

Thanks in advance.