Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

ratcheting (sp?) type noise....

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2006, 09:53 AM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default ratcheting (sp?) type noise....

ok...every so often, appears to happen when im on an incline, and i release the clutch as im moving i hear a very slight ratcheting noise. only happens in first gear and on an incline. if its level ground or down hill it never does it. i guess when its on an incline theres a little more stress on the driveline. also after its been driven for awile it seems to go away and not do it at all...this is whats buggin me, makes it very hard to try and pinpoint.
im just interested in seein if anyone has had a similer problem that could shine some light on the subject. my clutch is fine, or feels fine anyway. grabs normally with no sign of failure.
Old 02-03-2006, 11:05 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Ithink what you are talking about is launch rattle. The chatter of the clutch as it picks up is exciting gears in the trans and causing them to rattle. You can lesten the rattle bu letting out the clutch quicker. It may be that and a combination of added throttle that gets a better launch. It is just a noise/ nuisance thing though so do not be too concerned.