Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

LT1 and LS1 T56 differences

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2006, 03:38 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LT1 and LS1 T56 differences

I know the input shaft is different on them but what else would I have to do to make an LS1 T56 work with my LT1... Im doin a full swap from auto to 6 speed
Old 02-06-2006, 03:46 PM
10 Second Club

yes there is a difference. u need a different bellhousing, and possibly a different shaft.

the lt1 t56s were built by borg warner, and they were strong as hell. then when ls1s came in the game, the t56 was sold to tremac. so now the mexicans build our trannys outa paper.
Old 02-06-2006, 07:02 PM
Teching In

With that said should I just stay with the LT1 tranny and avoid all the hassle?
Old 02-06-2006, 08:14 PM
Teching In

3 peices to make the swap. Bellhousing,tranny front plate,input shaft. Thats all. The input shaft is over 250 by itself!
Old 02-07-2006, 08:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My T56 on my LS1 says borg warner on the side... ???
Old 02-08-2006, 07:35 AM
TECH Fanatic

yah Turbo needs to stuff paper in his mouth so he doesn'y spew more misinfo. The LS1/ T56 application started at Borg Warner( '98 model year begins in August of '97). The sale of the Borg Warner trans assets / Tremec start of production T56s completed for production '99 model year AFTER January 99. Ther was a "mix" of Tremec/ BW T56s for99. The casting labels( BW) were changed after that. So you could have a Tremec T56 with BW casting labels. On later units it was even possible to have both Tremec and BW labels on the same trans.
Its a little ironic what Turbo said: BW made T56s with paper blocker rings - It was Tremec that got the carbon-particle blocker rings into T56s and avalable to "upgrade" older units.
Old 02-08-2006, 09:26 AM
TECH Senior Member

I've seen LT1 T56's fragged just like LS1 T56's - strength difference? Hah. The only subtle differences (other than what jessman mentioned) I've seen between the two is that the LT1 has a 2-piece selector plate thing (I don't know what it's called, but it rides on the shifter shaft and it slides around the selector plate). The LS1 is 1 piece. And I've seen LT1 trannies without the rubber bumper that's just inside the driveshaft socket. These are very minor cosmetic internal differences. Calhoon got it right... my 98 came with a "Borg Warner" labeled T56 as well... and was showing mainshaft wear on the 5-6 driven gear at 50k miles.
Old 02-08-2006, 06:27 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Turbo LS1 SS
so now the mexicans build our trannys outa paper.
I did not know that.
Old 02-08-2006, 08:56 PM
Teching In

Camaroholic...That little lever your talking about is called a front offset lever and it rides in the shift guide plate. Just in case you really wanted that useless bit of info . I had no Idea the ls1 version was one peice! I never had an ls1 version open. My lt1 t56 has a rubber slip yoke bumper.Ironically I have no Idea what the actual name for that is! Allthough it could have been install on a previous refresh.
Old 02-09-2006, 07:18 AM
TECH Fanatic

What you are calling a rubber yoke bumper is not. If you are referencing the the round rubber "donut" that has a molded spline( matching the output spline) on the inside, it is a shipping seal. The trans is shipped to the assembly plant pre-filled with oil. That seal is placed in th rear lip seal where the yoke will later reside. When the yoke is first incerted in the trans, the rubber seal is pushed forward on the shaft and has no further function for the life of the trans. Missing one is an indication the box has been appart before. In fact it is possible to have two of these if the unit was a factory audit.
The two -piece offset lever was the original design . The top rail still has the 2nd roll pin hole even though only a one -piece part is now used.( another piece of useless info. I suppose)
Old 02-09-2006, 10:25 PM
Teching In

I learned quite a bit in this thread...cool!
Old 03-03-2024, 11:21 AM

Originally Posted by calhoon
yah Turbo needs to stuff paper in his mouth so he doesn'y spew more misinfo. The LS1/ T56 application started at Borg Warner( '98 model year begins in August of '97). The sale of the Borg Warner trans assets / Tremec start of production T56s completed for production '99 model year AFTER January 99. Ther was a "mix" of Tremec/ BW T56s for99. The casting labels( BW) were changed after that. So you could have a Tremec T56 with BW casting labels. On later units it was even possible to have both Tremec and BW labels on the same trans.
Its a little ironic what Turbo said: BW made T56s with paper blocker rings - It was Tremec that got the carbon-particle blocker rings into T56s and avalable to "upgrade" older units.
u seem to know what your talking about. I have lt1 out of a 96 firebird supposedly, that was upgraded to handle 800hp somewhere around the 10k mile mark. Had sat on a concrete floor since year 2000. Would this have been upgraded in anyway that would require me running something different then atf dex3 in it. When I bought it. The guy said it had synchromesh in it and gave me a half gallon to go with it.

my fear is this was unknowingly bad fluid to use back in 2000 and people have gotten more educated since.

i have people tell me to use what gm suggested when they stopped making dex three and that’s some kinda partially synthetic 70-80w ****.

most things just point to atf 3. Im more lost now then when I started.

Quick Reply: LT1 and LS1 T56 differences