Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

For those with SS and WS6...

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2006, 01:50 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default For those with SS and WS6...

I have an '02 Z28 and i'm not really liking the shifter too much. Here's the question...Is the Hurst shifter thats in the SS and the WS6 significantly different from the stock Z shifter.
Reason is that I have a friend who has a Hurst out of an SS that i can get for cheap. Is this some thing that is worth all the trouble of ripping out the stock and putting this one in or should i just save my money and get a pro 5.0 or a B&M.
Its either $30 or $150 or so. What should i do?
Old 02-10-2006, 03:09 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't know what the stock Camaro shifter is like so I can't help you there. I do know that the Pro 5.0 with an LSS is significantly better than the stock Hurst shifter I took out of my WS6. It's definitly worth saving up for one way or the other.
Old 02-11-2006, 10:51 AM
Teching In

The Hurst shifter is perfect in my opinion. A stock z shifter is absolute trash. That would have to be one of the first mods in my opinion. I've seen really good drivers consistently miss shifts w/ the stock. If you've got to replace a stock my preference is the Hurst. Im sure the Pro 5.0 is just as good, from what i hear, probably a little more stiff. Just depends what you're lookin for. But if it was me 30 bucks for a Hurst is the way to go.
Old 02-11-2006, 10:58 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

well i have a ws-6 and it came with the stock shifter. I bought my friends stock hurst out of his SS and it is significally different. the base is thicker and the stock hurst has a shorter travel. My friend with the SS took out his hurst for a pro 5.0 and he likes his hurst better. He said they have the same short throw travel but the hurst feels more comfortable.
Old 02-11-2006, 05:32 PM
12 Second Club

Ok well i'm pretty sure i'mgoign to buy the stock hurst off this guy. He wants $40 for it and it only has 30k on it and he says there is nothign wrong with it. Is that a good price for it? I really dont have a clue as to its worth. Thanks for the help.
Old 02-13-2006, 09:26 AM
12 Second Club

I ended up buying that shifter from the guy for $40. It looks nice, just needs a good cleaning. Now for the install. I've been reading up on how to do this and it looks rather involved. Now i'm more of a novice when it comes to stuff like this buti do like to do the work myself when i can. I did my own exhaust (well cat-back) and that came out nicely. Should i try and replace this shifter on my own or am i better suited having someone else do this for me?
Old 02-13-2006, 11:58 AM
Launching!

I have a factory Hurst w/ a LSS and love it. W/ the factory stick, it was sloppy w/ the isolator on it. I have driven several cars w/ different shifters, and the factory hurst, the aftermarket Hurst, and the Pro 5.0 are all about the same to me. I wouldn't have the factory GM shifter though.

If you get the factory Hurst, just get a short stick of some sort, and I think you will be happy.
Old 02-13-2006, 12:30 PM
12 Second Club

Just bought a short stick from the WS6 store for it. $25 with free shipping!
Old 02-13-2006, 12:40 PM
9 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by RedlineBrian
I ended up buying that shifter from the guy for $40. It looks nice, just needs a good cleaning. Now for the install. I've been reading up on how to do this and it looks rather involved. Now i'm more of a novice when it comes to stuff like this buti do like to do the work myself when i can. I did my own exhaust (well cat-back) and that came out nicely. Should i try and replace this shifter on my own or am i better suited having someone else do this for me?
If you did your cat-back you have enough capability to do it yourself. It's not bad at all. Once you do it you'll smack yourself for even thinking of bringing it to someone . Good luck on the install.

If you need a hand or got any questions you can give me a shout on fastls1.com. I'm local to you (Setauket).

Preston
Old 02-13-2006, 01:46 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by SSmokin 01
If you did your cat-back you have enough capability to do it yourself. It's not bad at all. Once you do it you'll smack yourself for even thinking of bringing it to someone . Good luck on the install.

If you need a hand or got any questions you can give me a shout on fastls1.com. I'm local to you (Setauket).

Preston
Cool. I actually just joined that site. I'm looking to get more involved locally. Actually looking to join LIFBA too.
Thanks. Hopefully see you cruising around sometime.

-Brian
Old 02-13-2006, 02:21 PM
TECH Apprentice

1. remove center console 2. remove rubber boot from the top of the shifter ( about 12 10mm bolts i think. 3. remove old shifter (4 bolts). 4. with a razor blade, clean off the surface mounting area and the bottom of the new shifter. make sure that both surfaces are free of oil/dirt and make sure you dont leave any trash in the trans mission. this would be a great time to change out your tranny fluid also because its a lot easier to fill from the top (just under 4 quarts ). 5. lay down a bead of rtv black silicone on the contact area of the tranny and let it dry for about 20-30 min. 6. reistall new shifter using lock tight if you have it. make sure all bolts are good and snugg tighting them in a criss cross pattern. 7. reverse steps 1 and 2. hope that helps. your going to love the new shifter, i have the exact same setup.
Old 02-13-2006, 02:32 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by N3V3RL8T
1. remove center console 2. remove rubber boot from the top of the shifter ( about 12 10mm bolts i think. 3. remove old shifter (4 bolts). 4. with a razor blade, clean off the surface mounting area and the bottom of the new shifter. make sure that both surfaces are free of oil/dirt and make sure you dont leave any trash in the trans mission. this would be a great time to change out your tranny fluid also because its a lot easier to fill from the top (just under 4 quarts ). 5. lay down a bead of rtv black silicone on the contact area of the tranny and let it dry for about 20-30 min. 6. reistall new shifter using lock tight if you have it. make sure all bolts are good and snugg tighting them in a criss cross pattern. 7. reverse steps 1 and 2. hope that helps. your going to love the new shifter, i have the exact same setup.
Thanks a lot this will be very helpful. I'm going to try and get it done this week if the snow disappears. I'm going to try and take step-by-step pictures on it and do a write up for it.
Old 02-14-2006, 11:26 AM
TECH Regular

Install university has a write up for a shifter install with pictures
Old 02-14-2006, 12:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Stock Hurst with LSS is bread and butter..
Old 02-14-2006, 06:17 PM
11 Second Club

I have pro 5.0 w/ LSS and I love it some have commented that it's TOO short...but it feels great to me! very solid.
Old 02-16-2006, 12:37 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by lsevenl
I have pro 5.0 w/ LSS and I love it some have commented that it's TOO short...but it feels great to me! very solid.
i love my pro 5.0/LSS, it's bad ***, it has nice firm shifts, the gear pattern is as close as i can imagine, there is no guiding the stick into gears, they almost go on their own.......one of the best mods i've done to my car......well not nearly as cool as the F14, but still a good mod nonetheless.
Old 02-16-2006, 01:08 PM
12 Second Club

Thanks for all the input.

Quick Reply: For those with SS and WS6...