Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Serious Clutch Diagnosis Problem. Help!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2006, 09:20 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Serious Clutch Diagnosis Problem. Help!!

Here is the situation. I wrecked my car back in December. The body shop just finished the majority of the stuff today. I have a Ram Powergrip Stage II clutch in it now with the stock M6 transmission. Everything worked fine before the accident. I hit black ice while changing lanes and was in fourth gear. The car spun 180 and hit a curb and a telephone pole, then rolled backwards thirty more feet before stopping. The car was stalled and dead when it stopped.

Here is the problem. The clutch and slave cyclinder are less than a year old. The car runs fine, but when the clutch pedal is pushed the shifter will not go into gear. If you try to force it you feel the car start to move. If you shut off the car and put it into gear it is fine and restarts in gear. The brake master cyclinder was removed during repairs, but I don't know about the clutch master cyclinder. It acts like there is air in the line. The service tech at the shop bled the line over and over and has no change. Can anyone tell me what the problem might be so that I can give the shop a heads up. They normally do not work on modded domestic cars. They rebuild foreign cars mostly, but are a huge body shop.

My buddy who is the ASE certified mechanic working on it thinks it could be the slave cylinder, clutch plate, or master cylinder. I need some quick info on this please. Thanks in advance.
Old 02-16-2006, 09:27 PM
TECH Resident

pressure plate.

I had this problem with my Spec 3, and had it warrantied. We took it out, and put my worn stock stuff back in, and no problems.
Old 02-16-2006, 09:31 PM
TECH Apprentice

I forgot to add this, but the pedal has no difference in pressure or anything. Is there anyway to diagnose it without pulling the transmission?
Old 02-16-2006, 09:32 PM
TECH Resident

My clutch had no difference either. My car became very hard to put into gear all of a sudden, and it got worse within minutes. If it ever went into gear, it was VERY hard to go into gear, and it would grind. When the car was shut off, it went into every gear fine.

It's the pressure plate, take my word on this!!!
Old 02-18-2006, 07:09 AM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Your synchros could be on their way out the door as well, but If your clutch is shimmed, sometimes they can wear over time and that might be what is causing the pressure plate issue that Matt is talking about.
Old 02-18-2006, 07:40 AM
On The Tree

Yep, Pressure plate. Mine did the same thing couple weeks back. Got in my car, drove out of Neighborhood, shifter got very ((sticky)) and all of a sudden, with in a minute, I was Unable to get it into gear. No matter what, Clutch pedel felt fine. Turned car off, shifter went into gear fine, but once car was on, Nope, no gear. If I tried to start car in gear, clutch pedel depressed, car would move forward....

Had to have the Transmission pulled and new clutch installed...

The weird thing is this Happens so Suddenly.....

BTW...I had a Spec Stage 3 Ceramic.....
Old 02-18-2006, 07:54 AM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I am running that same clutch!
Old 02-18-2006, 07:36 PM
TECH Apprentice

What is wild is I can start the car with the clutch in and in gear. I can work it normally to take off, but can't shift while running.