Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Burning the Clutch

Old 02-18-2006, 12:36 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Burning the Clutch

When Im driving - since Im new to the M6 world- hell Manual world in general - it always smells like burnt clutch.

What I am asking for is tips on how to become a better driver and avoid going through my clutch quickly. The guy who I bought it from said he had everything involved with the clutch replaced about 2K miles ago and Im afraid Im gonna go through this one in a couple of weeks.

Thanks guys
Old 02-18-2006, 12:55 PM
10 Second Club

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

So you have clutch smell just driving it down the street? or is this when you are hard on the car and/or racing it? 2,000 miles is a very short time. there could be a chance he installed the clutch wrong or got grease or something on the flywheel or clutch disk that could make it slip all the time. normal driving you shold never experience clutch slipping or a burnt clutch smell.
Old 02-18-2006, 01:03 PM
TECH Regular

A friend who was with me said its because Im still learning how to drive Manual and Im not sure on the proper release of the clutch. Also said in a couple of days - when I drive better - it will be gone. When the guy drove it everything went smooth and no smell.
Old 02-18-2006, 01:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well my best advice to a new manual transmission driver. Instead of doing the common REV the hell out of it and slowly let up on the clutch. Let up on the clutch first then when you feel the car start moving give it a little gas. Over time you'll get a better feel.

These cars have enough torque where you could just let the clutch out without giving it any gas. You'll get a feel for it. Don't panic if you stall it either.
Old 02-18-2006, 01:15 PM
TECH Regular

LOL, there is this little hill about 2 blocks from here where I have stalled like 3 times already. Its wierd because as soon as I turn it on and put it into gear I take off smoothly like it never happened
Old 06-15-2006, 01:20 AM
On The Tree

Guys i know this is an old post but i would like to resurect it. I am aobut to buy a 98 z28 m6 with about 72,500 on it. I have driven an Automatic my whole life and have no experience with a manual. I got tired of the auto however, and want to go manual. Plus, this one is t-top, leather, m6 and im getting it for 7300. I cant pass up this deal, but i was looking for some driving tips.

Are you saying that u can completely let the clutch up without stalling the car? Im not gonna try this but if so that seems as though it should make things easier.

Once i get going and get the hang of the clutch and simple techniques, what are some good racing tips?

WHen racing from a roll what is the general concises about down shifting (mph and what gear)? For example, your going 70 mph and your in 6th you downshift too, what gear?

And finally whats the best technique for launching from a stop? Obviously it takes alot of practice, but just for future reference. Maybe we could even make the replies into a sticky.
Old 06-15-2006, 04:52 AM
9 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by c4hybrid2007
Guys i know this is an old post but i would like to resurect it. I am aobut to buy a 98 z28 m6 with about 72,500 on it. I have driven an Automatic my whole life and have no experience with a manual. I got tired of the auto however, and want to go manual. Plus, this one is t-top, leather, m6 and im getting it for 7300. I cant pass up this deal, but i was looking for some driving tips.

Are you saying that u can completely let the clutch up without stalling the car? Im not gonna try this but if so that seems as though it should make things easier.

Once i get going and get the hang of the clutch and simple techniques, what are some good racing tips?

WHen racing from a roll what is the general concises about down shifting (mph and what gear)? For example, your going 70 mph and your in 6th you downshift too, what gear?

And finally whats the best technique for launching from a stop? Obviously it takes alot of practice, but just for future reference. Maybe we could even make the replies into a sticky.

Practice
Old 06-15-2006, 05:12 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by c4hybrid2007

you can safely downshift into 3rd, but you have to "Rev Match" it. That means rev it to the rpm that it would be at in 3rd at that speed. (if i remember correctly, i think 3rd @ 70 is 4000 RPM.)

I had a video on streetfire.net, but the site's down right now, i will post up a vid of where my friend and I were going like 65-70 and downshifted into 3rd
Old 06-15-2006, 10:26 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Heres what i suggest with any clutch. Rather than let the pedal up in one smooth motion, let up just enough till it starts to engage, then keep your foot there for a moment while the car starts to move, after a couple seconds when the car start going, the motor and tranny will be synced up and you can let up on the clutch the rest of the way. The key is reving only to 1200-1500 rpms, then letting the clutch out till it just starts to engage, and leaving yoru foot at the semi engaged part whiel you roll into the gas. after everything is synced up (after a few seconds) you can dump the clutch as fast as you want and it wont matter cause its synced.
Old 06-15-2006, 01:33 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Definetly get the car even if you have never driven a manual trans car before. However, be careful where you practice at. You don't want to stop at a hill in traffic with cars behind you and infront of you.....things can get quite interesting.

The guys above pretty much summed it up. Let the clutch out until you fill the car wanting to stall or move forward....the rpms will drop. Hold it there then slowly give it gas while slowly letting out the clutch.

with time you will get the hang of it
Old 06-15-2006, 01:37 PM
TECH Senior Member

If you get caught at a hill, pull the e-brake up while your thumb on the release button. The e-brake will hold the car while you switch to the correct pedals to get you going.
Old 06-15-2006, 01:39 PM
TECH Resident

i wouldnt worry i burnt my first clutch in my first car in like 6k miles but it also had 70k on it yours is new just take it easy and be consious of rideing the clutch and ull be fine
Old 06-15-2006, 01:41 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by rgaynor85
i wouldnt worry i burnt my first clutch in my first car in like 6k miles but it also had 70k on it yours is new just take it easy and be consious of rideing the clutch and ull be fine
I just changed the clutch i learned on. z06 clutch that lasted 102K miles with mods in sig.
Old 06-15-2006, 01:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

It's really not that hard to learn. Just follow the tips. For the most part, just dont give the car any gas until it starts rolling. Just ease out on the clutch, and when the car starts rolling, give it a little gas.

And if that doesnt work, like I told the last guy that asked for tips on driving a M6....4k...dump. Enough said.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Burning the Clutch