Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Help, tranny wont go in gear!

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2006, 11:22 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Help, tranny wont go in gear!

The other day I was leaving the gym. I started the car, went to go into reverse, and it would not budge. Finally got it in, backed up and went to go into 1st, wouldnt go in. Finally again I got it in drove home and was fine for a couple of days. Today, on break I start it to go back to work and would not go in gear again. This time I honestly thought it wasnt going to go in at all. Right after work I had to run to wal-mart before I went home, so I tried leaving it in gear when parked and it was fine when I left wally world to finally head home. What could this be? When Im driving, it shifts fine, like nothing is wrong. But when Im starting out, it doesnt wanna go in gear. I dont know a whole lot about the tranny, still learning. But seems to me like it could be a bearing? Or maybe the synchronizers? Any help you guys can offer me is appreciated. I want to try and get this fixed asap. Im going to be updating my hydro's for my clutch and all, what are the part #'s for everything I would need for it. Thank you everyone in advance. I really appreciate it.
Old 02-20-2006, 09:00 AM
On The Tree

To me, it could be one of two things.

1. Throwout bearing worn/defective slave and not disengaging the clutch completely, making it very hard to put in gear. (Do you hear any grinding at all when it finally goes into gear?)

2. Problem with synchronizers.

I don't know much about these trannies either, but I am learning quickly cause I have problems of my own. Stuck in 4th/pop out of 3rd problem. Defo synchros for me.
Old 02-20-2006, 11:47 AM
Launching!

Thanks keysplayr, I appreciate the response. There is no grinding at all when it goes in and out of gears. No grinding whatsoever. It just doesnt wanna go in gear.
Old 02-20-2006, 09:14 PM
Launching!

Anyone else have any ideas on this?
Old 02-22-2006, 04:13 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you're only having the problem getting it into reverse or 1st from a stop it sounds like your hydraulics are weak. Check the fluid for color and level. If the fluid is miscolored flush the system with clean fluid. Bleed the system and see if the level changes after a few days of driving.

Try pumping the clutch a few times before you go to put it in gear and see if that helps. In the mean time holding the stick up against 1st or reverse is probably putting a good amount of wear on the synchros and is a good way to fry em.
Old 02-23-2006, 10:55 PM
Launching!

thank you for the input mike, i appreciate it. Im gonna be replacing the hydro's hear very shortly. Would these PN's be the right ones for the updated hydro's? 12570277 for the master and PN for the slave 15046288? I got these out of the latest GMHTP when they did a spec install.