Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Oh god

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2006, 08:44 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Oh god

Here it goes, I recently purchased my SS Camaro and now I feel like the clutch is gone. The guy has legitamate proof that it has around 2 months and only 2000 miles on it so I really cant place blame on him. Here is how it goes...

I put the car in first and the clutch simply is not engaging. It gets loud and sounds like its overreving and I slowly move. A nasty smell comes from the car when this happens and smells like something is burning. I had driven a Manual car sparingly and knew how to drive, could I have messed up the clutch in a little over 3 days? My friend was riding passenger and said it felt like I was riding the clutch. Another thing, I would put the car on first gear, take out the clutch completely and the car would not bog out. It would simply take off as soon as I let go of the brake. This is depressing as it has been my dream car and now it will sit in the garage until it is properly diagnosed

I know its not the tranny but the clutch, thanks guy. This pisses me off
Old 02-21-2006, 09:47 PM
TECH Regular

I was wondering if you guys think its the Master Slave cylinder? The clutch is not engaging and Im thinking that could also be a problem. THe clutch is relatively new- like I said - and the burning smell maybe that its leeking fluid...
Old 02-21-2006, 10:14 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

propably was just not broken in right.
Old 02-21-2006, 10:30 PM
TECH Regular

UPDATE: I took the car out to the middle of the street and put it into every gear and completely released the clutch and the car did not bog out. Stayed as if it was idling...

When I would take off in first gear the inside of the car would rattle a lot until it reached about 15 MPH or switched into 2nd, then it would rattle until I reached a certain speed.

Last edited by DaGeneral; 02-21-2006 at 11:02 PM.
Old 02-22-2006, 09:07 AM
TECH Regular

BUMP...Come on guys
Old 02-22-2006, 12:43 PM
On The Tree

if u can get in gear easily and it shifts fine its probably not the master. if you let the clutch out and give it gas and it moves at all (even slow) then I would guess the clutch is shot.For whatever the reason, it could be bad break in , or maybe its not new ,I would ask to see some sort of reciept either for the parts or labour. P.s. if you had fluid leaking your resevoir would be low.
Old 02-22-2006, 12:45 PM
...with cheese.

Time to drop the tranny.
Old 02-22-2006, 03:12 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Sounds like a bad initial clutch install. Could be lots of things.....contaminated disc, improperly/undertorqued flywheel or pressure plate bolts, bad break in. It's not a hydraulic problem. A hydralic problem presents itself when the clutch refuses to release. Your problem is the clutch isn't engaging. Like Armageddon said, drop the trans and look at it. FWIW sounds like the guy was having probs and trying to dump the car.... If you really really tried you could smoke a clutch in 1 day, but you'd have to suck at driving to fry a new clutch in 3 days by accident.