Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

WTF! Tranny/Clutch Problems.(Long story)

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2006, 09:45 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Question WTF! Tranny/Clutch Problems.(Long story)

Last week, i was driving our 02 WS.6 M6, on the freeway. Dropped it into 4th, and rolled into the gas slowly, then shifted to 5th, and around 80-85 i tried hitting 6th, and it wouldnt go. I had to pump the pedal to get it into any gear. I figured it was time to replace the slave and clutch. Bought a 2004 ZO6 clutch, and standard slave cylinder.

Before this problem, when in 5th, if you let off the gas, the shifter would move forward. And back, when you get on the gas.

Now, after the clutch/slave replacement 5th will kick slowly all the way out, and it wont go into 6th at all. When it pushes out of 5th, the shifter doesnt move very far in any direction. Move it around, then it will finally move over far enough to go in gear. I dont think the slave was bled enough, but could this be causing my problems?? ALL help is really appreciated. Weve been short a car for over a week already.
Old 02-22-2006, 03:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like a problem with the 5/6 shift fork. Maybe bent, bad pads, or other internal problem. If you're shifting smoothly in all your other gears it's not very likely to be a hydraulic problem.

If the trans motion you're describing is excessive I'd take a look at the trans mount, torque arm mount, and engine mounts to make sure they're not cracked, split or loose. These things could cause an alignment problem with the trans that can make it hard to get in and out of gear.
Old 02-22-2006, 08:32 PM
TECH Addict

Thanks for the input. I know the trans mount, and the torque arm mount are fine. ill check the engine mounts. The other gears seem better than before, but still not right. And the clutch is making some slight noise. Also, with the 5th gear issue, could me using Redline synthetic fluid make the problem worse? Because now it just pushes completely out of gear. I just changed the clutch, slave and tranny fluid, and now its doing this?

Anyone have any other input? I want to try all i can, before i take it to a shop.
Old 03-04-2006, 10:58 PM
TECH Addict

Default Update!

Well, got everything back together AGAIN, and now it would go into 6th position but acted like it was in neutral. It still pushes out of 5th.

Long story short, there was a good amount of metal in the bottom of the tranny. So now, im rebuilding the tranny. What upgrades should i make while its out?
Old 03-05-2006, 04:40 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

steel shift forks, Carbon syncros, have keys checked... Just a few i could think of off the top of my head.