Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

4th and 6th gear problems?!!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2006, 10:27 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4th and 6th gear problems?!!!

hey guys whats up?

i recently just bought a 99 Z28 and when i shift into 4th gear sometimes when the clutch is all the way in it grinds pretty bad also it does the same in sixth gear almost everytime but the second try after i push the clutch in again it goes into gear i have no clue what is up with it if you know anything will help!

Thanks.
Old 02-22-2006, 03:11 AM
Staging Lane

Out of curiousity, if you push in on the clutch, wait about 3 or 4 seconds, then slowly put the car in gear, does it grind? The reason I ask, is because i'm having similar issues, but with 1st and 4th. I found that if I take my time shifting, I never hear the grinding, but if I shift into either of these gears immediately after pushing in on the clutch, they grind.

I have been unable to get a definitive answer for this issue. I've heard that it could be the syncros, or the slave cylinder, or the clutch forks, or needs a tranny rebuild, or the clutch needs bled, or the clutch needs replaced. It would be great if someone could shed some light on this. I really don't want to spend a ton of money trying to resolve this issue.
Old 02-22-2006, 03:38 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you've got good pedal pressure when you pressing the clutch it's probably bad synchros.
Old 02-22-2006, 10:40 PM
Teching In

like it wont go into sixth the first try when i am crusing around town but it goes in on the expressway what are my possible options as to what it could be? slave cylinder, tranny shot even though it has 55,000 miles on it? needs to be bled, new clutch, new shifter assembly like either slp or pro shifter? let me know cuz this really pisses me off thanks guys!!
Old 02-23-2006, 11:39 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Sounds like synchros to me, if your clutch disengages at the right point and your other gears shift fine, then your clutch is most likely not the cause of the grinding.

Being that 4th and 6th gears are the only ones that have the problem, they probably both have worn out synchronizers. Meaning if you double-clutch when shifting into either of them, there should be no grinding at all. With only 55,000 miles on your car, I'm inclined to say that transmission probably led a hard life if the synchros are shot so early on.

I don't know exactly what is entailed in replacing synchros, but I think it falls under the category of "transmission rebuild", so I doubt its cheap.
Old 02-23-2006, 11:57 AM
TECH Fanatic

might be a shot in the dark, but does it have an aftermarket shifter? if so check to see if it has adjustable stops on it.