Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Can the pressureplate hold the weight of the tranny?

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2006, 10:14 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Can the pressureplate hold the weight of the tranny?

I know that question sounds funny but let me setup the scenario. Helping a buddy install his McLeod SDK. Got the clutch aligned using a tool I bought at like NAPA or someplace. Torqued the PP down to 52lbs. in crisscross pattern. I never did a visual on the clutch, since I've used this alignment tool in the past and never had a problem. We get the tranny up and try for like 45 minutes to get it to slide into the crank and it just won't go. So after we pull it out I stick my head up there and see the clutch is hanging south of dead center. You can also see where the input shaft was contacting the lower lip of the crank hole. Maybe 1/8 of an inch off, if that.

So I guess my question is with the PP torqued down to spec that clutch is essentially fully engaged. If we have a jack on the back of the tranny and the input shaft in the clutch is supporting the front of the tranny, is that enough to move the clutch out of position? I wouldn't think so, but I just wanted to ask to see if anyone knows for sure.

My guess is that wiggle room in the alignment tool was just enough to set that clutch pad off center. I've done this a bunch 4 or 5 times on my own car and it worked everytime. I'm guessing that wiggle room had to chatch up with me sooner or later and it just happened to be when I was working on a friends car.

Thoughts?

Thanks for your input,
Mike

p.s. If anyone has an easy method for reinstalling the tranny I'm all ears.
Old 03-01-2006, 02:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

I don't think that will work. That clutch disk won't move when it's engaged.
Heres an easy way to fix it...loosen the pressure plate bolts until you can insert a long 3/8" extension into the pilot bearing and use the extension as a lever to center the disk. Look in there to make sure that the disk is centered rather than just relying on the alignment tool (like you said, these have a little play in them). Then retorque the PP bolts. You want to keep a little pressure on the disk by not removing the PP bolts completely...then it will stay centered after you remove the extension.
Sounds kinda ghetto, but it works really well.
Old 03-01-2006, 02:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

I think you're right. I was being lazy and figured if the alignment tool was on then it's close enough to install the tranny. But I suppose a visual inspection is neccessary as well just to make sure. I sort of figured that after we had to pull the tranny.

The only question mark was if the weight of the tranny could move that clutch disk when the PP was fully engaged. Logic tells me no way, but I figured it best to ask and be sure. Thanks for the reply NOBR8KSS.

Mike

Quick Reply: Can the pressureplate hold the weight of the tranny?