Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Any way to bench bleed entire clutch system?

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2006, 09:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Any way to bench bleed entire clutch system?

I was wondering if there was a way to bench bleed the whole clutch setup? Has anyone done this?

I though maybe you could put the slave in a vise to keep some pressure on it, then have a buddy turn the vise in and out while pumping the master cylinder. Any thoughts on that?

I ask because I will be putting my new clutch in soon, and it would be nice to bleed the whole thing outside the car and be done with it.
Old 03-01-2006, 11:56 PM
11 Second Club

once you install bench bleed master air will be injected most times. bleed system once installed has worked best for me. i made a remote s/s bleeder line. s/s hard line to flex ss hose to quick bleeder. can only be installed when tranny is out. great for pre-track maint bleed. flush easily with no mess.
Old 03-02-2006, 06:51 AM
TECH Senior Member

I tried bench bleeding... I just got fluid all over the place and had to clean up a big mess.

In car bleeding has always worked well for me. I even went so far as to drill a 3/8" hole in my floorpan to fit a socket extension through... so I can bleed it by myself in just a couple minutes.
Old 03-02-2006, 07:25 AM
TECH Fanatic

OK, thanks for the responses.

The only thing I don't like about in car bleeding, besides taking 2 people, is that the fluid gets all over the inside of the bellhousing. I am always a little worried some will get on the clutch itself.