Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Are SPEC clutches really that bad??

Old 03-02-2006, 05:52 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Are SPEC clutches really that bad??

I mean people have been running them in HIGH POWERED Camaros/Firebirds and even Mustangs without an issue.Why all of a sudden they are blowing apart? Doesn't make sense to me. I am in need of a clutch badly, and for the price ya can't go wrong. I was going to go with either a SPEC 2/or 2+ with an SLP LIGHTWEIGHT BILLET FLYWHEEL.Hell I am even going to replace the pressure plate and flywheel bolts as well as upgrade the hydraulics. Could it be just human error in installing? I do believe just recently i read a negative feed on a TEX clutch,and come to find out the installer used ANTI-SEIZE on the pressure plate bolts!!!! I would it to remain a street driven vehicle but looking to put down about 475-550 rwhp. All engine. ANY help with this issue would be GREATLY APPRECIATED!!!! THANKS IN ADVANCE!!!
Old 03-02-2006, 07:23 AM
TECH Apprentice

The more a product sells, the more you are going to here about the negatives. My stage 3+ did not slip at all during its lifetime. If I did not lug the drivetrain as much as I did, the clutch would still be in the car now. The stage 5 I have is doing well and even though Spec does not recommend it for the street, it is streetable.
Old 03-02-2006, 07:58 AM
TECH Resident

It's the nature of the internet. Someone makes a thread about a problem they had, and all of a sudden the word on the street is that the whole company and product line are full of problems .
Old 03-02-2006, 08:01 AM
TECH Resident

Oh and to answer your question inthe title, I think SPEC clutches are very good. They sell a lot of them. I'm sure a few might have some problems. But I've had 2, and they've been time tested, street tested, and track tested by me and passed with flying colors. Most of the 15 or so other LS1 guys I hang out with use them too with the same good results FWIW. Good luck.
Old 03-02-2006, 08:39 AM
TECH Senior Member

If you want to roll the dice to see if you end up being "one of those guys with an exploded SPEC clutch", feel free to do so.

As for me, I wouldn't run one if it were given to me free.

One instance of an explosion is "huh, that's weird". Two... three... four... too many for me.
Old 03-02-2006, 08:45 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Got about 1000 street miles on my spec5. So far so good. Fingers crossed.
Old 03-02-2006, 09:06 AM
Launching!

Ive got 25k+ on my spec 3 right now and dont have problems. I will replace it with a spec again when it comes time.
Old 03-02-2006, 09:28 AM
On The Tree

I have about 8,000 on my Stage 3 and its still perfect.
Old 03-02-2006, 10:12 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

We only use SPECs now.I've gone through all the others.So far the stage 5's have taken 800hp/800tq no problem.

As for the blow up's. I've had a few of the other clutches explode on me.Never a SPEC yet
Old 03-02-2006, 10:24 AM
TECH Fanatic

when a well known performance shop advises you not to buy because they sent 5 in the past week back to spec then yeah I worry.

I look at it this way, they must be hit or miss with there quality. But then again, the guys that complain about specs exlpoding so fast, leads you to wonder:

was the clutch installed properly?
does the driver really know how to drive manual well or do they ride the clutch?
does this person bitch on the internet alot and never give positive feedback?

Its easier for people to complain right away before giving praise. However for the price I will stick with the LS7 clutch until I have a bigger engine build then I will buy Mcleod or exedy.

My ls6 clutch has 95,xxx miles on it, and my z28 has all bolt ons, and the car has seen many track days and has been driven hard.
Old 03-02-2006, 11:19 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by ibanez7
does this person bitch on the internet alot and never give positive feedback?
Good point, but if I ever had a clutch blow up like some other people's I'd bitch about that company for the rest of my life. Given on these boards I've never heard of any other company except SPEC having these problems, I'm going with a Centerforce or LS7, maybe RAM. There are a lot of choices out there.
Old 03-02-2006, 11:28 AM
12 Second Club

I love my Spec 3 and have not had a problem yet with it and it has around 7k on it right now.
Old 03-02-2006, 11:34 AM
10 Second Club

Don't let the SPEC haters scare you off. 80% of performance-minded F-body drivers are running a SPEC, and I've only seen a handful of threads from people who aren't happy with them.

Unless you're looking to spend $1k+ on a Textralia or Exedy clutch, what other clutch even comes close? When it comes to bang for the buck factor, SPEC is impossible to touch.

I've been using my SPEC for 3k miles and it is perfect. I am running a transmission blanket, and I suggest everybody do the same. Clutches explode, bottom line. Rather safe than sorry.
Old 03-02-2006, 02:19 PM
11 Second Club

I can only speak from my own experience. My SPEC stage I lasted 5K miles before it smoked. No track time, no stickies, no hard running.
Old 03-02-2006, 02:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

I got 6k miles out of my SPEC 3 xpad before it welded itself to the flywheel. Went with a Textralia and loving it so far.
Old 03-02-2006, 04:47 PM
On The Tree

From what I understand the 3 fastest times on a T56 are with a Mc Cloud Twin Disc. 9.4 sec.
Is this true?
Old 03-02-2006, 05:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

I've never had a spec, but have read a lot of bad things about them. Does that mean they are hit and miss? maybe, but all I know is I can't afford 400 for a clutch and 400 for a install..and the have the clutch go bad and spend another 400 to have another installed(if spec covers it the first time)..so in the end..when my stock clutch goes...i'll be going wiht the ls7 clutch.

and I read a good point in this thread that I'll repeat. you don't hear these horror stories about other clutchs...just the specs.
Old 03-02-2006, 08:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by JoeyAnderson
Don't let the SPEC haters scare you off. 80% of performance-minded F-body drivers are running a SPEC, and I've only seen a handful of threads from people who aren't happy with them.

Unless you're looking to spend $1k+ on a Textralia or Exedy clutch, what other clutch even comes close? When it comes to bang for the buck factor, SPEC is impossible to touch.

I've been using my SPEC for 3k miles and it is perfect. I am running a transmission blanket, and I suggest everybody do the same. Clutches explode, bottom line. Rather safe than sorry.
Where'd you get your tranny blanket?
Old 03-02-2006, 08:14 PM
On The Tree

Tell you what I had 2 Rams go out on me. The first one was the VDS at 3000 miles and the 2nd was the HD that lasted 400 miles and 2 track passes on light launches. I now have a Spec 5 and it drives better than either one of those clutchs and has 50-65 track passes with 500rwhp and about another 10-15 with the spray and it hasn't missed a beat, that doesn't include the abuse I put it through on the street. Drove it 130 miles to the track last week put 5 back to back to back passes on the spray and drove it home with no problems. The sponsor that I bought it from swears by them(Spec). By the way my buddy put the same ram in his car and it went out on the first trip to track also, but the replacement ram sent does seem to be holding up well. I'll stick with spec for now since its taken more abuse than any other one I have had.
Old 03-02-2006, 08:25 PM
TECH Resident

I have over 35,000 on my SPEC stage 3 daily driven pretty hard for the most part.... no problems thus far...I think alot of people run into problems with SPECS for 2 reasons number 1 they dont know how to drive and number 2 they dont set it up right

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Are SPEC clutches really that bad??