Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Question, clutch bleeding

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2006, 05:17 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Question, clutch bleeding

Hello everyone, first let me say that my clutch pedal was always right off the top, or in perfect working order. I tore it all apart, did the clutch mod, put it back together, bled it thoroughly, and now the pedal goes down about half way to the floor before it starts to build pressure. I was very careful and cleaned the line of shavings very I well (but now having doubts) and I am wondering if I am missing a step on bleeding the clutch or is something failing in my hydraulic system? If I pump the clutch fast 5-10 times the pedal will be right where it should for a few miles but slowly starts to fade back again, sounds like air to me so I bled it again this weekend, no difference. Maybe my method is wrong, have someone pump the clutch fast, hold it down, crack the bleeder just long enough to get a quick squirt, close quickly, repeat. Any help would greatly be appreciated.
Old 03-06-2006, 09:55 AM

Having just done this last night, I can offer some help.

Two nights ago, I tried the method you described. Pump the clutch, hold it in, and then crack the bleeder and close it. Well, turns out there's a better method (correct).

To bleed your LS1 clutch's hydraulics,

Pump the clutch petal, crack the bleeder, push the petal to the floor, close the bleeder, then pull the petal up by hand. I had mine close to where it needed to be using your method, but using my method it was noticably different after only one iteration. Six cycles of crack, push, close and my clutch was operating perfectly.

Remember, crack, push, close. Just keep an eye on the fluid in the reservoir, or you'll have to start over.

Good luck.

Ben T.
Old 03-07-2006, 05:30 AM
On The Tree

THANK YOU! I will try that this weekend. Justin
Old 03-07-2006, 07:51 AM
TECH Fanatic

See the link in my sig. You can probably get away with just doing the last section which is done in the car. You don't have to lift the car up and it shouldn't take you more than 15 minutes. All you need is a mitiVac. Give it a try.

Mike
Old 03-07-2006, 11:17 AM
On The Tree

Awesome write up, thanks for the help. Will try to locate a friend with a Mity Vac.
Old 03-07-2006, 01:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Mity Vac works much better than anything else.
Old 03-08-2006, 12:05 PM
On The Tree

another vote for the mity vac !

Quick Reply: Question, clutch bleeding