Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Just put car back on the road after winter...what did I do?

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2006, 10:26 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Just put car back on the road after winter...what did I do?

Hey everyone, I just put my camaro back on the road and decided to take it for a spin. After riding around for a few mins no problem I decided to beat on it a little. From a second gear roll I punched it from about 2500 rpms and took it to redline (I have redline set at 6000 rpms just to be safe). I actually hit the rev limit real quick and then went to shift to 3rd but it didnt want to go in right away and when it finally did it kinda felt like the clutch pedal didnt jump up real quick like usual. I continued to drive though for another few mins at normal pace and it shifted fine however I could smell this awful odor coming from the car. The oil pressure was fine and there wasnt any smoke or anything so I know it isnt the engine burning anything (I dont think lol), but it stunk for the rest of the ride home and when i got home I let it cool for a bit and put it in my garage and when i came back out a few hours later my garage reeked of the smell. Def not a burnt oil smell though. Im guessing my stock clutch is going on me? Again it shifted fine the rest of the way home but it smell soooooo bad. Any ideas or do I have it spot on and should I worry at all as I have an ls2 flywheel and ls7 clutch going in in a few weeks. Thanks and any info would be great!
Old 03-07-2006, 12:39 PM
TECH Addict

anyone?
Old 03-07-2006, 03:46 PM
TECH Addict

TTT anyone?
Old 03-07-2006, 03:59 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Probably Burnt clutch smell (Smells like Brakes Overheated)
It should be fine.
Old 03-07-2006, 05:20 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The smell you are smelling is burnt clutch. you are smelling that because when you get on the throttle like that and quick shift there is like a check valve in the slave cyl line that stops the fluid from returning therefor not allowing you clutch from totally reengaging. there is a mod where you take off the line and drill out this valve.
Old 03-08-2006, 12:21 PM
TECH Addict

Hey guys, yea thats def what it sounds like happened to the car. Its driving fine now, just scared the **** out of me when it didnt want to shift and when I parked it in my garage after it cooled down a bit it stunk so bad and stunk up my entire garage. Also it was def that sick smell like overheating brakes, as I though for a sec that that was maybe what it was. I will def have Dez Racing, who is installing my ls2 flywheel/ls7 clutch do the drill mod for me. Thanks again guys i appreciate the info!