Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Squeak while textralia clutch is engaging

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2006, 11:36 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Squeak while textralia clutch is engaging

Hey, I'm a lurker here on LS1tech. I've got a 02 Z28; bought it with a TEXTralia clutch and flywheel recently installed. There is about 1000 city miles on the new clutch. Ever since I bought it, the clutch will give a squeaking sound when it is engaging. I'm a noob when it comes to clutches, but the guy said it was squeaking because it was breaking in. It sounds like tires squealing just alot softer.

Well, the squeak hasn't stopped. It hasn't gotten worse either. A few people are telling me it is the pilot bearing, which wasn't replaced when the clutch and slave were installed. Others are telling me that it's just breaking in. What do you guys think? Should I rip the tranny out or should I wait till the squeak gets worse/better?

**EDIT**
SOLUTION ON POST #40

Last edited by FbodyAttraction; 11-13-2006 at 07:42 AM. Reason: edit stuff
Old 03-21-2006, 11:49 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Does it squeak when you have the clutch pedal fully depressed, or just while releasing the clutch? If it does it with the clutch fully depressed AND while the clutch is engaging and at no other time, then it might be the pilot bearing. If it only does it while releasing the pedal, then its probably not the pilot bearing, but just some friction between the clutch surfaces. Do you know what flywheel was installed? I think Peter could help you out better with this than I can.
Old 03-21-2006, 11:52 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Ferocity02
Does it squeak when you have the clutch pedal fully depressed, or just while releasing the clutch? If it does it with the clutch fully depressed AND while the clutch is engaging and at no other time, then it might be the pilot bearing. If it only does it while releasing the pedal, then its probably not the pilot bearing, but just some friction between the clutch surfaces. Do you know what flywheel was installed? I think Peter could help you out better with this than I can.
It only does it when the clutch is engaging.

It NEVER happens any other time. It will not squeak when the clutch is not engaging, IE when the pedal is full depressed.

EDIT: The flywheel is a TEXTralia billet steel.
Old 03-22-2006, 12:46 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mine does the same thing... SPEC3 and Fidanza Alum flywheel. Except mine only does it when the car is cold. After driving for a while it doesnt do it. That and my SPEC3 never stopped chattering... ever.
Old 03-22-2006, 01:05 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Avengeance
Mine does the same thing... SPEC3 and Fidanza Alum flywheel. Except mine only does it when the car is cold. After driving for a while it doesnt do it. That and my SPEC3 never stopped chattering... ever.
This will squeak at anytime, anywhere, it doesnt matter how hard I drive or soft i go on the clutch, cold days and hot days.

It's not loud but really annoying. Has the chattering ever affected your preformance?
Old 03-22-2006, 01:31 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by FbodyAttraction
This will squeak at anytime, anywhere, it doesnt matter how hard I drive or soft i go on the clutch, cold days and hot days.

It's not loud but really annoying. Has the chattering ever affected your preformance?
That is strange that it does it all the time. I havent noticed a problem with performance.. Ive gone 12.2@116 on this clutch with a 1.8 60'. Apparently from what I hear thats pretty decent for a M6 with just stock size DRs, lowered car, and alum FW.
Old 03-22-2006, 08:20 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Avengeance
That is strange that it does it all the time. I havent noticed a problem with performance.. Ive gone 12.2@116 on this clutch with a 1.8 60'. Apparently from what I hear thats pretty decent for a M6 with just stock size DRs, lowered car, and alum FW.
As long as the clutch is engaging, it will squeak.

I've heard about people selling knock-off TEXtralia products, and since I dont have the reciept for it, I wonder where it came from.
Old 03-22-2006, 08:43 AM
On The Tree

pilot bearing. sounds like it anyway, mine did the same thing
Old 03-22-2006, 08:52 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by red95ssclone
Did it squeak while the pedal was fully pressed?

Should I wait till it gets worse?
Old 03-22-2006, 09:07 AM
Launching!

Mine did it for about 2k miles and then it just kinda went away. But the clutch still works great.
Old 03-22-2006, 09:29 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by red95ssclone
If it was the pilot bearing, then the noise should happen whenever the pilot bearing is moving, which is anytime the clutch is not fully engaged. Since he said it doesn't happen when the clutch is fully depressed, I am going to say that it's not the pilot bearing. I am assuming that the noise would come from the rotation of the pilot bearing. Perhaps there might be some translational force on the pilot bearing due to the cluch engaging and disengaging that might cause such noises.
Old 03-22-2006, 09:46 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Ferocity02
If it was the pilot bearing, then the noise should happen whenever the pilot bearing is moving, which is anytime the clutch is not fully engaged. Since he said it doesn't happen when the clutch is fully depressed, I am going to say that it's not the pilot bearing. I am assuming that the noise would come from the rotation of the pilot bearing. Perhaps there might be some translational force on the pilot bearing due to the cluch engaging and disengaging that might cause such noises.
That right, It will only do it after the clutch has started to grab. It won't squeak, however, while the clutch is chattering.

Could it be a improperly installed shim? The guys who did it have a good reputation around here.
Old 03-25-2006, 02:01 PM
Launching!

TTT, please.
Old 04-09-2006, 06:41 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Did you ever get any resolution on this? I think mine is doing the same thing. I installed it, with new everything about 2 months ago. The new engine/clutch has about 2500 miles on it (a lot of highway though), and whenever I'm starting from a stop it will make kindof a squeeking noise. This is with the billit steel flywheel.
Old 04-10-2006, 12:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

Some of the old style Spec III's did the same thing. Mine squeaked its whole life.
Old 04-10-2006, 12:18 PM
TECH Enthusiast

but never caused any real problems or anything?
Old 04-10-2006, 01:16 PM
TECH Resident

tally transam listened to mine making the similar noise, and he's pretty sure its the throwout bearing.
Old 04-10-2006, 01:56 PM
Launching!

Yurp, I vote t/o bearing
Old 04-10-2006, 02:17 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by FunkyTownFBody
Yurp, I vote t/o bearing
I agree. TO bearing will squeak/roar with the clutch depressed.
Old 04-22-2006, 02:17 PM
On The Tree

just did a search and found this post. my textralia is also squeaking upon engagement. if i slip the clutch for the smoothest engagement it wont do it, but if i let it out a lil quicker like normal then it squeaks when it fully engages. this sound is very audible from outside the car and makes my car sound like a POS. i was thinking it was the TOB myself, but i only have maybe 15k miles on the clutch with just bolt ons. just adding my experience......

Quick Reply: Squeak while textralia clutch is engaging