Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Clutch and rear end problems... PLEASE HELP!!!

Old 03-24-2006, 08:41 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Clutch and rear end problems... PLEASE HELP!!!

I have had my 02 ws6 in the shop now for almost a month and finally got it back today. I had the slave cylinder and clutch disc, pressure plate, and flywheel replaced. First thing I notice is that the clutch pedal is extremely soft and doesn't engage until it almost hits the floor. Used to be nice and stiff and you barely had to tap it to get it to engage. Is this something that just needs adjustment? I want my nice stiff pedal back! Also, I had my ring and pinion gears and pinion seal replaced as well as my bearings. There was a whining noise on decelleration when I took the car in and now it is louder than ever with new gears! The dealership said that they used aftermarket gears and of course he said that they were just as good as the stockers (probably b.s.) He said that the noise should disappear within 400 miles and that it just needs to go through the "break-in" period. Do you guys think this is the case and that it will get better on its own? Or do they need to readjust the gears or possibly even replace them with GM OEM gears altogether? Any advice is much appreciated. Thanks!!!
Old 03-24-2006, 08:47 PM
9 Second Club

I really can't see them getting quieter. Mine got louder over time.
Old 03-24-2006, 08:50 PM
TECH Apprentice

My 4.10's and 12 bolt got a little louder. I fixed it by adding headers and high flow cats. I can't hear the whining any more.
Old 03-24-2006, 08:51 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by noah89
My 4.10's and 12 bolt got a little louder. I fixed it by adding headers and high flow cats. I can't hear the whining any more.
I already have the loudmouth exhaust and the gears are still obnoxiously loud. You guys have any ideas about the clutch pedal?
Old 03-24-2006, 08:52 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by noah89

Now that you mention it I can't hear my 4.10s and 12 bolt over my true duels
Old 03-24-2006, 08:54 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by RiceEatingWS6
I already have the loudmouth exhaust and the gears are still obnoxiously loud. You guys have any ideas about the clutch pedal?
Sorry. I have an A4.
Old 03-24-2006, 10:36 PM
wrencher

The hydraulic's are not right. Not bled right likely. Have them bleed it out properly per the GM service bulletin. Then have them redo the gears, they are not right either, it will not quiet down, only get worse usually.
Old 03-24-2006, 11:15 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If they are whining, odds are they were put in wrong. Have them check pinion angle and preload to ensure that it was done correctly. I had richmond gears that made a bit of noise when installed, but it was barely audible and was no nosier than the noise made by my fuzion tires when decelerating. In other words you could hear it but you had to know it was there to hear it. Any after market cat back would drown out the noise. If it is louder than that and the pitch is dramatic when accelerating or decelerating and the pitch changes to nothing if coasting, you NEED to get the rear gears redone properly.
Old 03-25-2006, 08:21 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by SladeX
If they are whining, odds are they were put in wrong. Have them check pinion angle and preload to ensure that it was done correctly. I had richmond gears that made a bit of noise when installed, but it was barely audible and was no nosier than the noise made by my fuzion tires when decelerating. In other words you could hear it but you had to know it was there to hear it. Any after market cat back would drown out the noise. If it is louder than that and the pitch is dramatic when accelerating or decelerating and the pitch changes to nothing if coasting, you NEED to get the rear gears redone properly.
Thanks for the help guys.. this is what I would expect from a ford dealership servicing a gm vehicle (got the vehicle used and had work done under an extended warranty I purchased). Is there like a list of specifications from gm for the gears that I can give to the dealership so they can properly adjust them? If you guys could post this that would be great.

Search this Thread