Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Which harness goes to the Reverse Solenoid

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2006, 09:50 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which harness goes to the Reverse Solenoid

I think the shop forgot to plug in the harness to the reverse solenoid after the install, but I'm not sure if I'm looking at that or the skip shift solenoid. It was really high up on the tranny near the shifter, but I don't know which harness plugs into it. Can anyone tell me what color the wires in the harness or the color of the harness plug is??? Thanks as always guys.
Old 03-28-2006, 07:27 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The plugs are color coded and so are the solenoid "receiver plugs. Black to black/ white to white. The black-plugged solenoid is for the reverse inhibitor functiob.
Old 03-28-2006, 11:35 AM
TECH Apprentice

Man i wish i would of known this sunday, i reversed the solenoids and let me tell you its not good. My car now has skip shift always on and it will go into reverse at speed (so i have 4th gear and reverse only). Interestly i found out the reverse solenoid pops out with 0 volts and takes about 50-60 lb/fts to push it in, when it receives a 12 volt signal it pops in while the skip shift works opposite, (pops out with 12 volts and pops in with 0 volts). Just a heads up to anyone out there cuz now i hope i can switch solenoids without dropping the tranny again.
Old 03-28-2006, 11:36 AM
TECH Apprentice

Also t56rebuilds.com has a complete overhaul manuel online for the T56
Old 03-28-2006, 01:27 PM
12 Second Club

I'll have to check that website out. I have everything plugged in properly, and I'm afraid i need to replace the reverse solenoid. I'm just not sure how I'm actually going to get any tools up there to get it out. I couldn't even get my hand in there to unplug it and check the pins!
Old 03-28-2006, 02:50 PM
TECH Apprentice

yeah im going to try tonight to get the reverse solenoid out without dropping the tranny, my guess is going in from the top, (take off your shifter its right there), Im hoping there's enough room to fit a strap wrench in or maby a closed end wrench, if not i might cut a notch in the tunnel to get this done, Ill see tonight and let you know.
Old 03-28-2006, 03:17 PM
12 Second Club

Good luck tonight. I was thinking about trying to access it from the top last night, but ran out of time. Let me know how it goes for ya. More than likely, I'll be ripping into mine tomorrow night or the next.
Old 03-29-2006, 05:26 PM
TECH Apprentice

ok you can access it from the top i used a neighbors F-wrench as he called it or i think another name for it is just a plummer's wrench, the space is limited from a top access due to the tunnel and tranny. When i reinstalled the correct black one i did it from the bottom, there is tons of room, just drop the tranny brace. I was even able to get the skip shifter solenoid off with out dropping the tranny, it took alot of work but by letting the tranny sage and alot of time i got it off. if you have any questions just ask
Old 03-31-2006, 07:26 AM
12 Second Club

Thanks for the update, I'll be tearing into it this weekend for sure and finding out if I have a wiring issue or if the solenoid itself is bad. Of course, I have to learn how to use and read a multimeter first

Did you just switch your harnesses back or did you have to put new solenoids in? I'm guessing you put new ones in since you used an F wrench/plumbers wrench on it. If so, where'd you get the lockout solenoid? The dealer told me they are $150 which is crazy! Thanks for the help!
Old 03-31-2006, 02:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Check your PMs
Old 03-31-2006, 04:57 PM
12 Second Club

No new PM's yet. I look forward to getting one though!

Quick Reply: Which harness goes to the Reverse Solenoid