Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

chatter after spec stage 3 install

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2006, 11:51 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default chatter after spec stage 3 install

well, i rebuilt my transmission since i bent the 3/4 shift fork, and i went ahead and bought a spec stage 3 clutch while i was at it, but today when i got it all back together, i took it out on a test drive and from a dead stop, it has chatter real bad until the clutch is fully released, then its fine, is this normal for these when brand new, or should i take it out and check something, it only does it when your starting from a dead stop, or near dead stop, but is fine once you get going. any help or suggestions is appreciated, thanks

Robby
Old 03-30-2006, 01:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

LOL mine did that too! It was horrible for the first 500 to 1000 miles, after it broke in, It has been great, just follow the break in correctly, and baby it around, my suggestion is not slipping it at all, let the clutch out fast with no gas, or, tap the gas and let clutch out, till its broken in, this will make your ride a little less chattery. I got stuck in bumper to bumper traffic the day I installed mine, that sucked so bad, worst 30 mins of my life.
Old 03-30-2006, 07:47 PM
On The Tree

I was freakin' out last week over that very same thing. We installed a SPEC stage 3, '01-'02 slave, McLeod Adj Master cylinder, did the drill mod and a pro 5.0 w short stick. First test drive I was like WTF! I had read about the chatter, but was not really prepared for it. Anyway, I've got 160 painfully driven easy miles and the chatter is almost gone. It went down dramatically over the first 2 days and is getting better by the day. I'm learning the feel for it with my shifter and love the combo.....can't wait to go WOT after I hit 500 miles. Just keep driving the car and you'll see it'll get much better.
Old 03-30-2006, 08:15 PM
12 Second Club

I have the stage II with around 2-3k on it and it chatters my teeth out. Worst clutch ever.
Old 03-30-2006, 08:15 PM
Staging Lane

well, i got about 60 miles so far, i drove it alot today, and it is starting to settle down, and my friend also had the same problem, so guess its nothing to really worry about, and it does get annoying as hell is bumper to bumper traffic.
Old 03-30-2006, 10:41 PM
Staging Lane

You just need to get a little used to it. Just rev it a little before you take off.
Old 03-30-2006, 11:57 PM
Staging Lane

yeah, i use to slip my stock one quit a bit on take off i guess, just gonna have to adjust my clutch pedal foot, but the quick release definately helps alot.

Quick Reply: chatter after spec stage 3 install