Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Shimming a Textralia

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2006, 08:41 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Shimming a Textralia

According to my speed shop they state all textralia clutches should be shimmed if not I will have a low clutch pedal. Has anyone heard of shimming a textralia clutch?
Old 03-30-2006, 12:13 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by teog1
According to my speed shop they state all textralia clutches should be shimmed if not I will have a low clutch pedal. Has anyone heard of shimming a textralia clutch?

I know SPEC started doing it after being in business for a few years. Maybe it will happen here as well. Obviously there is some reason SPEC started doing it.
Old 03-31-2006, 12:44 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 432 Likes on 307 Posts

It sounds like your speed shop is too damn lazy to properly bleed the clutch after the install.
Old 03-31-2006, 10:48 AM
Staging Lane

Update-
My speed shop who is a vendor on here, has done other work for me and is reputable did end up putting in a shim. They stated they have done several textralia before and when they didnt shim the engagment was at the floor board. They stated they have contacted textralia in the past about shims and they recommended it.

As of right now with it shimmed all the clutch engagement is within in 2 inches of the floor board. It feels okay just different to what I had. My only other point of reference is my old spec 3 with the engagement was more in the middle than closer to the floor board.
Old 03-31-2006, 11:13 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by YoungB@BYUNSPEED
Called Pete on this ... "No Textralia clutch requires a shim. LS1 slave cylinders are floating and will always return back to a fixed point determined by the resting place of the clutch diaphragm when engaged. The travel is determined by the amount of fluid moved from the master cylinder and no shim is going to change the fluid volume and movement.
This whole statement is true, but I can assure you my clutch would not opperate propperly without a shim... I spoke with Pete several different times. I learned a ton of stuff talking to him and to this day I don't understand how a shim fixed mine but it did.
Old 03-31-2006, 09:05 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

NO shim in mine or my buddies (WS6 Kid) engagement is perfect! There seems to always be someone or some place that thinks they know everything and insist on doing it "their way" instead of the "right way". Young and Textralia know what works, why **** with that?

Quick Reply: Shimming a Textralia