Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Clutch work needs to be done...

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2006, 01:50 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clutch work needs to be done...

Just curious, for you guys who have had new clutches put into your car how much did it cost? Also who did your work, dealer,shop, ect. I searched but couldnt come up with a range of #'s. Im talking labor plus clutch or should i buy a clutch seperate and just have the shop install it?

Also i dont have the tools nor the knowledge to do it myself.
Old 04-03-2006, 07:11 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You're gonna be looking at about $150 for removal of the trans, $150 for trans install, and figure at least $300 for the clutch. Add some in there if the flywheel needs to be resurfaced/balanced (assuming the clutch you get doesn't come with a new flywheel). If I were you I'd find a buddy that's good with a wrench.
Old 04-03-2006, 09:29 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Mike44138
You're gonna be looking at about $150 for removal of the trans, $150 for trans install, and figure at least $300 for the clutch. Add some in there if the flywheel needs to be resurfaced/balanced (assuming the clutch you get doesn't come with a new flywheel). If I were you I'd find a buddy that's good with a wrench.
good point, AND PLEASE PLEASE dont flame me over this question but what clutch/flywheel package should i be looking at. Im not looking for any extreme clutch or one that is insanely hard to push in. Just one that is nice and easy but yet i can put up 400-500 hp (on n2o) and i dont have to worry about redoing it all again? This is a daily driver so i want it to be forgiving. I looked into the Centerforce clutches and i've gotten mixed opinions about them. Also i thougth about a stock clutch again but its not worth it if i start putting high horsepower.
Old 04-03-2006, 10:03 PM
Teching In

I just bought my spec stage 2 clutch from speed inc. for 389.99 and im doing the work myself but there's a price on a GOOD clutch. www.speedinc.com
Old 04-04-2006, 12:09 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Mr.6SPEED
I just bought my spec stage 2 clutch from speed inc. for 389.99 and im doing the work myself but there's a price on a GOOD clutch. www.speedinc.com
Thanks man , i was told to look into spec clutches. BTW would the spec 3 be to "performancey" (if you get what im saying about pressure ect.) for a daily driver with 500hp max?
Old 04-04-2006, 12:11 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Just about any of the clutches you'll be looking at are going to have the same pedal pressures and they'll be almost identical to factory. Seems the most popular options are RAM, Spec, Textralia, Centerforce, and Factory LS7 setups.

I have a Centerforce I on my daily driver with some mild bolt ons and think it's holding up fine. Everyone with a Textralia seems to love it but they're big $$. I'm not real familiar with the LS7 setup, but I think it requires shimming and some messing around. If that's the case it just seems like too much of a hassle. My feeling is that the part either fits or it doesnt, and I don't see any reason why you should have to shim anything on new product. Seems like everyone has their opinions on which ones are junk and which ones are great. At 500HP you're right at the edge of where you'll need a midrange clutch and chatter may be an issue for you. If you have a few miles on the flywheel you're probably best off looking for a setup that comes with a flywheel.

Also, replace the pilot bearing and the slave while you have the trans off.
Old 04-05-2006, 12:29 AM
Teching In

I paid 220$ for labor only. That was clutch, flywheel, pressure plate, to bearing, and pilot bearing. Thought that was very reasonable.
Old 04-05-2006, 02:29 AM
TECH Addict

What kind of shimming and extra work are required to make an LS7 clutch work?

Quick Reply: Clutch work needs to be done...