Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Tips for launching on Street tires?

Old 04-06-2006, 10:09 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Tips for launching on Street tires?

I have an 02 t/a with some boltons, 275 street tires, 3.42 gears.

What is the best way to launch on the street?
I practice a little bit but I am not sure exactly which rpms to hang around for max speed.

It seams if i rev at just over 1500 and let up the clutch right, it will hook fairly good and no wheel spin. The motor however seems to lug for an instant. This makes sense because it is all of a sudden attached to the ground.

The other way is rev higher and drop a bit quicker. I can get a lot of wheelspin this way but if i do it right, i can get a decent grip quick. The motor stays up higher in the powerband.

Which will win races? Launching lower and lugging or launching higher and spinning?

I will go to the track eventually but they are too far away.
Old 04-06-2006, 11:22 PM
Launching!

The best advice I can give you is burn those street tires up and replace them with some drag radials. I use nittos and they have a good grip. As long as you drive with some common sense on the street, they will last reasonably well.

As far as the launch.... Spinning will kill your time. Get your tires as dry as possible after the water box and find the highest RPM you can launch at that does not spin the street tires. If you do find our self spinning, take your foot off of gas just for a second and put it back on. A lot of times this will allow your tires to grip.
Old 04-07-2006, 01:33 AM
12 Second Club

Launching and street tires dont go together. Believe me!! But if you are gonna try and make a few passes at the track try this. Your first run hold the rpms @ around 2,000 and give it a try! Now if the track is prepped really good you will more than likely bog, especially if you have stock gears still. If that is the case do your next run @ around 2,800 to 3,000 and do the same thing. (If you are still using a 10 bolt it would be best to let the clutch slip just a very little bit instead of just straight dropping it). See what that does for ya! Once again all of this depends on the track prep. So just see what works for you. You might have to find a happy medium. And just FYI....if you are on street tires try to avoid the water pit all together. But if you have to drive through the water like i do at the track i run at here is what you do. Roll through it without spinning the tires. Then when you are out of the water pop the clutch and give it a little gas until they grab. That is all the burnout you need to do. No need to get em smokin b/c street tires do the total opposite of drag tires when heated! Good luck. Hope i helped somehow!

Brent
Old 04-07-2006, 12:50 PM
TECH Regular

Here's my opinion...use lower rpms and let it bog then come up. This will allow your clutch and driveline to survive and is faster than getting in to wheel spin.

However, there is a 3rd option that makes for the fastest street launch but will be very bad on the clutch. This is to get the rpms to 3K and keep it there by modulating the throttle and the clutch as you come out of the hole. You let the clutch slip rather than the wheels slipping, or the rpms bogging.
I've only done this a couple of times with my stock clutch and that's about all one could handle. I'm not talking about slipping the clutch for long...only about 1.5 - 2 seconds.

But as I said up top, I don't recommend this be done very often. So just walk it off the line.
Old 04-07-2006, 01:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

LS1powerhouse02, I could not have said it any better myself. It's all track prep dependant on launch rpm and clutch slip. A little bit of spin won't hurt too much but bogging will kill your times and mph.
Old 04-07-2006, 02:21 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Ryan02SS
LS1powerhouse02, I could not have said it any better myself. It's all track prep dependant on launch rpm and clutch slip. A little bit of spin won't hurt too much but bogging will kill your times and mph.
thanks! and yah i found out first hand how bad bogging hurts your times. My first run at the track i bogged so bad i thought i had just died out! . You wanna talk about a bad feeling!! But thankfully that wasn't the case.
Old 04-07-2006, 04:17 PM
On The Tree

I run street tires, 275 BFG KDW's at the moment. My car I slip the clutch at around 2200 and I get a little wheel spin and I ease off and then I get back WOT and im at 3k in 1st with full traction and its on.

I cut what I figure to be 2.0's all day on the street and I hardly ever get 60'd on the street, or beat at all really.

Practice, I used to launch my car 20 times a week literally as we race close to where I worked, lol. I also drop my tire pressure to 20psi, I can notice a difference between that and 28psi or whatever.

Im even hoping to keep using street tires for some nitrous passes. good luck!
Old 04-07-2006, 05:51 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by TigerWoodsJr
I run street tires, 275 BFG KDW's at the moment. My car I slip the clutch at around 2200 and I get a little wheel spin and I ease off and then I get back WOT and im at 3k in 1st with full traction and its on.

I cut what I figure to be 2.0's all day on the street and I hardly ever get 60'd on the street, or beat at all really.

Practice, I used to launch my car 20 times a week literally as we race close to where I worked, lol. I also drop my tire pressure to 20psi, I can notice a difference between that and 28psi or whatever.

Im even hoping to keep using street tires for some nitrous passes. good luck!
You are making similar hp as me, what is your best et and mph?
Old 04-07-2006, 09:00 PM
TECH Addict

Yeah, drop tires to about 24psi, do a short burnout to clean off tires, launch b/w 2200-2800 and ride clutch a little, then drop, and go like hell!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Tips for launching on Street tires?