Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Bellhousing won't come off. WTF??????????????

Old 04-19-2006, 06:15 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Bellhousing won't come off. WTF??????????????

I fried my tranny, so while I have the car apart I'm putting in the LS7 clutch. I've removed all the bolts on the bellhousing, along with the splash guards for the flywheel, and she won't budge. I can get a screwdriver in the slot where the engine and bellhousing meet up. When I try and seperate them the bellhousing doesn't want to budge. She'll spread a little, but it pops right back to where it was. I don't want to break a screwdriver.

BTW, all the bolts are removed. I've checked like 5 times. I count 8 bolts on the floor.
Old 04-19-2006, 06:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

spray some PB blaster or WD-40 on the little dowels. they're what's holding it on. a 2x4 and a small sledge work well, too, if used where the splash shield was or where the starter is. . I used a massive craftsman screwdriver as a prybar in the slot, stuck more screwdrivers in it when it opened, then moved to the other side.

some ideas.
Old 04-19-2006, 06:40 PM
Launching!

i just went through this. pull your starter off and try to get a screwdriver or paint scrapers in above the dowl pins. pnce youve added a little bit mroe space/play try to get a prybar in and loosen that side. it just takes time but it will come...
Old 04-19-2006, 06:53 PM
TECH Addict

Use a rubber mallet and a piece of 2x4 on the area behind the starter. Also, be sure to move over to the driver's side and try prying off from that side too so you can apply an even load after prying/pounding on the driver's side. The dowels are at the 10 & 2 o'clock positions, so you might want to try spraying some WD-40 on those spots. This is probably going to take you a while, so get ready. One of the biggest PITA's of doing a clutch swap...
Old 04-19-2006, 07:49 PM
TECH Junkie

i took my screwdriver and tapped it up along the bellhousing, like a wedge, worked great
Old 04-20-2006, 12:42 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by 67RSCamaroVette
I used a massive craftsman screwdriver as a prybar in the slot, stuck more screwdrivers in it when it opened, then moved to the other side.
That is what me and my friend did when we were trying to get his off. We got the bottom half loose by using a giant screwdriver to pry it open then stuck in small ones to keep the gap before moving up the sides. After we got the bottom loose we grabbed it and just shook the hell out of it until it came off. good luck
Old 04-20-2006, 10:12 AM
TECH Resident

Sounds good guys. This is the same thing my buddy who is rebuilding my tranny said. Thanks.
Old 04-20-2006, 11:34 PM
TECH Resident

The 2 x 4 worked great.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Bellhousing won't come off. WTF??????????????