Voters: 280. You may not vote on this poll

aluminum flywheel for 1/4 mile car

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2006, 11:04 PM
JDP
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default aluminum flywheel for 1/4 mile car

well gys ill be looking into a new clutch and i was wondering about getting an aluminum flywheel.

i had one in my probe and i loved it and i got use to driving it and it helped the car through the 1/4 decently, but thats a completely different car.

people say they are harder to drive yada yada but i think i can handle that, and ive heard that revs drop to quick in between shifts, but will it hurt me you think, i can hit gears pretty quick, but im not powershifting.

just give me your input on what i should do, and give me reasons for your opinions.

thanks for the help guys
Old 04-19-2006, 11:11 PM
12 Second Club

You're only going to have trouble launching because the lighter aluminum doesn't produce enough momentum while spinning as the stock one which will cause you to either bog or break the tires loose. No in between unless you slip the crap out of the clutch. After the launch it will only help you.
Old 04-20-2006, 05:15 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 350 Likes on 239 Posts

I still 60 ft the same as when I had the stock fly wheel. I leave at 6000-7000 rpms and still seem to have a best its gonna get 1.59 but it is more consistent 1.59-1.62 60 ft's though. Very consistent with the aluminum.
Old 04-20-2006, 12:08 PM
JDP
TECH Fanatic

ok, my buddy says the lightness of an aluminum flywheel isnt good for the car, i dont know why, but he keeps saying dont do it.

i think im comfortable driving it because i had a 9lb flywheel in my probe, but that car made like 164hp so i wouldnt compare these two cars and how they would act with the light flywheel
Old 04-20-2006, 08:58 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You want the extra rotational mass it will helpyou launch and also help with each shift. The aluminum is only good for road racing where you are constantly reving up and down quickly over and over and over.

If you or a buddy has some weights for lifting, (the round flat disc kind) take a small one and twist it back and forth in your hand, then do the same with a heavier one. The big heavy one wants to keep spinning and is much harder to slow down, so will your motor every time you launch, or shift, that big heavy flywheel will help force the car to accelerate a lil harder as it doesnt wnt to slow down easily. Hope that makes some sense!
Old 04-20-2006, 09:45 PM
JDP
TECH Fanatic

ya, but its harder to turn the heavier weight faster,and its harder to get going.

i daily drove a car with a 9lb flywheel and it seemed like it revved like a sport bike, i not 80 years old, so when racing im not slow with shifts, the rpms dont really have a chance to drop.

the biggest thing is that ive heard a couple people say its not good for a car.

but i understand what your saying about how it wants to hold the rpm up with the heavier flywheel
Old 04-21-2006, 01:22 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

get the aluminum one and be done
Old 04-21-2006, 07:19 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Why not just get a billet steel flywheel?
Old 04-21-2006, 11:07 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by JDP
ya, but its harder to turn the heavier weight faster,and its harder to get going.

i daily drove a car with a 9lb flywheel and it seemed like it revved like a sport bike, i not 80 years old, so when racing im not slow with shifts, the rpms dont really have a chance to drop.

the biggest thing is that ive heard a couple people say its not good for a car.

but i understand what your saying about how it wants to hold the rpm up with the heavier flywheel
Then get what you want and don't ask about it. Multiple people have told you the disadvantages to an aluminum flywheel, and you continue to argue. Why? People put junk parts on their cars every day - get the aluminum and join them, that is obviously what you're already sold on.
Old 04-21-2006, 01:44 PM
JDP
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by JoeyAnderson
Then get what you want and don't ask about it. Multiple people have told you the disadvantages to an aluminum flywheel, and you continue to argue. Why? People put junk parts on their cars every day - get the aluminum and join them, that is obviously what you're already sold on.

im just trying to get peoples opinions on what they want, and if they are junk to you thats fine, yes im leaning towards aluminum, i just want people to give me reasons why i shouldnt use aluminum. thanks for being a dick about it, dont take the middle finger personal, i just wanted to use it because i have not seen it used before.

thanks for the constructive criticism
Old 04-21-2006, 01:56 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by BIG BAD BLACKSS
You want the extra rotational mass it will helpyou launch and also help with each shift. The aluminum is only good for road racing where you are constantly reving up and down quickly over and over and over.

If you or a buddy has some weights for lifting, (the round flat disc kind) take a small one and twist it back and forth in your hand, then do the same with a heavier one. The big heavy one wants to keep spinning and is much harder to slow down, so will your motor every time you launch, or shift, that big heavy flywheel will help force the car to accelerate a lil harder as it doesnt wnt to slow down easily. Hope that makes some sense!
ummm, what?? that is completely false. the heavier flywheel WILL NOT help the car accelerate the car once its moving. it will resist it. the arguement here is if it will hurt launching the car. the heavier flywheel will have more stored energy when it is sitting there spinning waiting to launch the car. when you dump the clutch, this energy is released. that is the gain from a steele flywheel, you have more stored energy at launch. once you do launch the steele flywheel is only added weight that has to be spun.

I was always skeptical of aluminum flywheels until I saw tim tosto use one. he has the 6spd record with a 9.71 and mid 1.3X 60'. it launches HARD and consistant. I wouldn't hesitate getting one for a 1/4 mile car in an f-body.
Old 04-21-2006, 11:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JakeY2KZ
Why not just get a billet steel flywheel?
Considering their prices are within a few dollars of each other..... I agree.
Old 04-22-2006, 01:31 PM
JDP
TECH Fanatic

if i did go steel, why wouldnt i just keep stock?
Old 04-22-2006, 01:43 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 383ss
ummm, what?? that is completely false. the heavier flywheel WILL NOT help the car accelerate the car once its moving. it will resist it. the arguement here is if it will hurt launching the car. the heavier flywheel will have more stored energy when it is sitting there spinning waiting to launch the car. when you dump the clutch, this energy is released. that is the gain from a steele flywheel, you have more stored energy at launch. once you do launch the steele flywheel is only added weight that has to be spun.

I was always skeptical of aluminum flywheels until I saw tim tosto use one. he has the 6spd record with a 9.71 and mid 1.3X 60'. it launches HARD and consistant. I wouldn't hesitate getting one for a 1/4 mile car in an f-body.

People also argue that you can do it on a light car but not a heavy car. His car weighs I think upwards of 3400 pounds so it blows that theory out of the water also.
Old 04-23-2006, 11:05 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by chpmnsws6
People also argue that you can do it on a light car but not a heavy car. His car weighs I think upwards of 3400 pounds so it blows that theory out of the water also.
yep, its about 3450 lbs. I believe he also launches around 7000, so that may be a factor
Old 04-23-2006, 11:55 AM
TECH Addict

Don't we all launch like that though?
Old 04-23-2006, 02:24 PM
12 Second Club

Well, I went with an aluminum flywheel for a different reason. I have a GTO, and our rears are not the strongest in the world. I figured I was more than willing to give up on the line a little to save rear parts, while gaining everywhere else. Now that I have it in, I have absolutely no problems launching a heavy assed GTO with my OZ700. It just takes a little more practice.

Galen
Old 04-23-2006, 06:18 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by chpmnsws6
Don't we all launch like that though?

well, I launch at 6500, but I don't think that is the 'norm'
Old 04-23-2006, 09:55 PM
JDP
TECH Fanatic

i would launch like that but i need to make it past the 60fter.

if i was to get a light flywheel, what would be the better choice, either fidanza (which i had in my other car, or the spec flywheel.

but if i decide to stay heavy, why should i get a billet steel flywheel, rather than just keeping the stocker.
Old 04-24-2006, 12:05 AM
10 Second Club

Why not try a paper mache' flywheel? I hear they're Ultra-lite.

Quick Reply: aluminum flywheel for 1/4 mile car