Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

New Spec 2+ Vibration - Questions

Old 04-20-2006, 09:15 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Spec 2+ Vibration - Questions

Just looking for a little advice to make sure I maximize my chances of having a good experience.

Background: I'm on day #2 after having a new Spec 2+ with aluminum flywheel and PP installed. Install done by a professional with many of these installs under his belt.

Unfortunately, it chatters pretty bad. No issue on shifts when the car is moving, but from a stop it can feel bad enough that I worry I'm tearing up other parts of the driveline.

Questions:
1) Does this go away, and what (be specific) can I do during break in to be sure this doesn't continue. I don't want to have to bring this back due to user error on my end from suboptimal break-in.

2) (for those with the lightweight FW/PP) I understand with this setup the car should require a little more juice on takeoff, but will it chatter or just bog if you don't give it enough gas? Mine chatters, but I want to make sure this is an issue and not something I should just expect to live with.

I really want this to work out, since I can't afford another clutch right now. On the other hand I live right downtown so clutch chatter is definitely not something I'll be able to live with.

Thanks
Old 04-21-2006, 12:28 PM
12 Second Club

I'm having the same problem. I have a spec stage 2 and a fidanza lightweight flywheel. It only does it now take off and down shifts. But mine also makes a noise like an old creeking door on take off. It does it more when it is cold, not so much when hot. I only have 300 on break in. Spec said put 1000 miles on it. and if it still does it to call them back.
Old 04-21-2006, 12:40 PM
12 Second Club

My Spec II chatters like none other. I have over 2k miles on it and it has not gotten better are all. It sucks shifting the car at low rpms and releasing the clutch slowly, doesnt it?

I made many posts about the Spec II clutch and to stay away from it, and so did PipesTA. Do a search and you shall find our posts. Ill never buy a spec product again nor will I have one installed even if it is given to me for free.
Old 04-21-2006, 12:58 PM
Staging Lane

You guys just need to work on your foot skills, i had a spec 3 and now have a spec 3+. Trust me you just need to get used to it cause my girlfriend can drive my car easily. Just rev above 1000 rpms so it won't chatter.
Old 04-21-2006, 01:12 PM
12 Second Club

I had a spec before this and loved it. The noise on release is what is bugging me.I just dont know if the noise is because of the flywheel or not enough miles on break in. Other then the noise i'm pleased. the chatter is not enough to bug me. I built the car to go fast, so the little things I dont worry about.
Old 04-21-2006, 02:22 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by blazinws6kush
You guys just need to work on your foot skills, i had a spec 3 and now have a spec 3+. Trust me you just need to get used to it cause my girlfriend can drive my car easily. Just rev above 1000 rpms so it won't chatter.
I seriously hope you're joking. This isn't a driver issue here. The thing chatters BAD. A nationally known driver took mine out and killed it due to chatter.

I need it over 2200 to avoid chatter.
Old 04-21-2006, 02:25 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by ele-blue95
I had a spec before this and loved it. The noise on release is what is bugging me.I just dont know if the noise is because of the flywheel or not enough miles on break in. Other then the noise i'm pleased. the chatter is not enough to bug me. I built the car to go fast, so the little things I dont worry about.
Yeah, it seems very hit or miss. I purchased mine on a very high recommendation from a tuner I trust.

I'm also not sure if this is chronic or just not broken in. about 250 miles now.

I'm also a performance only guy, but living downtown means severe chatter isn't going to fly.
Old 04-21-2006, 04:19 PM
12 Second Club

I feel ya there.I will just put the miles on it and hope it goes away.
Old 04-23-2006, 12:30 AM
TECH Junkie

My Ram 402/910 setup and fidanza alum flywheel chattered horribly. So bad I though my rear diff was gonna fall out on takeoffs. You had to really slip that thing off the line to keep it from chattering. I have a spec 3+ now and this thing is great. No chatter at all and a much lighter pedal.
Old 04-23-2006, 09:32 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

my stg 2 chatter a little bit, but like stated above it only if i give it little or no gas to take off, if i give it gas its perfect, im very happy with the clutch it grabs great, i had one in my stang too and loved it, it grabs great but my dad is on stg 2 #2 and his still chatters he thinks its the biggest pos made, trust me he wont put in # 3..
Old 04-26-2006, 12:39 PM
12 Second Club

I just got done talking to the guys at spec, they said that the noise im getting is prob the flywheel insert. They say it may have not been completely flat. What does everyone else think.

Search this Thread