Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Clutch issues.....

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2006, 07:12 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clutch issues.....

Hello.
Long time reader here, not much of a poster.... I've got a '97 Trans Am with 383 LT1, T56 and 12 bolt moser rear end, combination that went last season 11.6/121mph with 1.7 60 ft.

I totalled my old clutch SPEC 3 with 4 puck disc last season and bought a Ram powergrip (didn't have the amount of money at the time to buy a real clutch).... Well that Ram clutch went couple of days ago after I installed a new torque arm and MT radials (the car hooks so much better than before).. So I guess that wasn't helping my clutch....

I was wondering what clutch would suit my combo.. The new Spec 5, Mcleod twin or some dual disc Ram.
Last summer when I bought the powergrip clutch at Summit Racing I looked at the Centerforce clutch at their shop, that piece looks so weak... any comments on that?

I personally feel like I need a good dual disc clutch but like I said I'am not sure what brand...
Old 05-13-2006, 10:22 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ive got about the same setup as you. ran a 11.58@120.8 this year with a 1.69ish 60 through a 9 incher. Im curious too as what kind of clutch to go for next. Ive got a spec 3 now and the clutch is still holding good. It has around 80-90 passes and around 10,000 niles on it. Im going to spray one of these days before the season is up and I figured that will be the end of it. Im thinking a stage 5 spec when I do.