Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

What did I break? Fluid leaking like crazy.

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2006, 10:39 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What did I break? Fluid leaking like crazy.

I was driving normally yesterday and as I pulled in to the mall parking lot, clutch sticks to the floor. I creep to a stop in a parking stall and take a look at the fluid resevoir. EMPTY. So I fill it up and pump the clutch a few times and all the fluid is leaking all over the ground. I finally get a buddy there with a jack and get under the car and the lines look good; its leaking from the bottom of the bell housing.

Anyway, I had it toed to a local tranny shop and they are supposed to give me a few price quotes on monday.

I'm thinking my slave is shot. Anyone have any similar experiences?

I figured while they are in there I'll have them install the ls7 clutch/ls2 flywheel.

If I decide to go with the new clutch, do I need to upgrade the master cylinder or can I just do the drill mod on the stock one?

My car is a 99 z28.

Thanks!
Old 05-14-2006, 11:06 AM
On The Tree

Well, if the tranny shop has it, it's too late for us to try to troubleshoot it. But it does sound like the slave is blown. Are you using an adjustable master cylinder like the McCloud? I heard that someone in here had the adjustment too far out and "overthrew" the piston in the slave causing it to break the seal and spew fluid throughout the Bell. I hope the tranny shop does not take you for a ride and hopefully you have dealt with them in the past. Good Luck.
Old 05-14-2006, 11:24 AM
wrencher

Ya it sounds like the slave is done. The drill mod is done to the line from the master to the slave. There is a resrictor in it, that is what is drilled.
I would say get a stock style adjustable master, less problems.
I have the McLeod master it does flow more, but requires the occasional rebuild.
The stocker will be more than fine for what you need.
Old 05-14-2006, 09:57 PM
TECH Apprentice

I have had 2 slaves go out on my cars. Had my 86 Trans Am towed home and we changed it. cost $40 for the part (this is for a T5)
My 88 broke the slave last summer and I ended up driving it home, was a pita till I got on the highway since you have to turn off the car everytime you are going to stop and then start the car up in gear.