Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

crushed magnets??

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2006, 01:22 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default crushed magnets??

So last night I began to open up my T56 to check it out and do some fixing. (needs 3/4 shift fork, and also looking to find out why reverse doesnt work)

I get in the tailhousing area and find chunks of **** all over the place. WTF?! It turns out it is shattered pieces of the two magnets that should be stuck down near the oil drain. The magnet pieces are stuck all over the place... on shafts, the sides of gears, etc. I pretty much hit panic mode and started looking all over the gears and stuff but there didnt seem to be any damage to any of the gear teeth that I could see. (luckily)

The only thing that I could think to explain this is the fact that the car that this transmission came from was totalled in a 50 mph T bone into a power pole. Maybe that knocked the magnets around and they got chewed up somehow? What do you guys think?

Also, what are some possible reasons to not be able to get into the reverse gear besides the reverse lockout solenoid??

Thanks guys!
Old 05-16-2006, 09:40 PM
On The Tree

anyone??
Old 05-16-2006, 09:54 PM
On The Tree

sounds like it, those magnests are usually at leaste epoxyed on. But if it hit that hard you have to question what else happened to that trans if hte magnet took that much force.

Quick Reply: crushed magnets??