Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

How hard to replace clutch?

Old 05-18-2006, 06:06 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How hard to replace clutch?

From what Ive been told it sounds like the springs in my clutch are broken. My question is how hard is it to replace a clutch? Would I be able to do it? I don't have access to a lift but I do have ramps and jacks and lots of tools. I have done some advanced engine work before like changing valve seals/springs/rockers/plugs/wires/water pump etc...

I am just afraid of taking it all apart, doing it and then putting it back together to find out somethign is wrong and have to do it all over again. This would be my first time ever dropping a trans.

Would it just be better to pay someone else to do it, Im guessing itd be arond 500 in labor alone.
Old 05-18-2006, 08:30 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You can do it yourself. I did mine on jackstands in the garage. It's no big deal at all really. If you don't have a tranny jack then it really helps to have a buddy there when it comes to dropping the tranny or lifting it back into place.

As far as the clutch install itself, it's as simple as it gets. There are some write ups floating around, but it's pretty much self explanatory in my opinion. Just look up the torque values and use some high strength loctite on the flywheel bolts during re-assembly. Good luck!
Old 05-19-2006, 12:04 PM
Teching In

You can do it yourself, just research and get the right tools!!! Sears craftsman swivel sockets and long extensions are a must!! I did it myself over a couple of days (taking my time). One thing that helped me was use of a transmission jack (scissor jack--low profile) that I got off ebay. It can do minute adjustments and makes lining up the transmission input shaft a lot easeir. I made marks on the floor noting the position of the jack wheels before I removed the tranny and used those marks as a reference when putting it back in. Worked great for me. You can do it. Plus then you know you did it right.

Hardest thing will be getting off the bell housing.
Old 05-19-2006, 03:07 PM
On The Tree

Any links to walk throughs?
Old 05-19-2006, 04:20 PM
On The Tree

http://www.installuniversity.com/ins...ch_install.htm
Old 05-19-2006, 05:10 PM
TECH Addict

The guy around here charges $250 to do it. I am ready and willing to pay that much to not have to deal with it. I put my spec 2 in last year and I thought it was a pain in the rear.
Old 05-19-2006, 05:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

i pulled my trans and did my clutch job by myself with out any help. i also did all my rear suspension and had my rear end re-built at the same time. i used install universities site for "directions" anyways. you don't need a lift, i did mine with this much room and that's all....

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: How hard to replace clutch?