Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

clutch stickin?

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2006, 11:15 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default clutch stickin?

i got a 99 SS with a centerforce... the clutch feels great for daily driving... but when i go to get on the car and put it up in the rpms it seems like the clutch is sticking to the flywheel or something... if i redline whatever gear im in i have to yank real hard to get to the next gear... it shouldnt be a hydraulic issue... all new stuff wit the drill mod... any idea what this could be... the pedal also feels funny after a wot run... i pump it a few times than it feels normal. its just annoying me cuz i know its slowing me down between the shifts.... any ideas on what the problem could be?
Old 05-23-2006, 12:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

What does the fluid look like when you check it? Does it look black or burnt? I know alot of guys on here, myself included, have had troubles because the hydrolic line that goes from the slave to the master is sitting so close to the headers, that its boiling the fluid.

I had to heatwrap my hydrolic line and start running DOT4 fluid instead of DOT3 and I havent had any issues since.
Old 05-23-2006, 01:09 PM
Launching!

the fluid in the resovoir looks fine... its clear... people have told me to bleed the clutch and see if that helps... ill do that whenever i have free time... but when i installed the clutch im pretty sure i bled it plenty enough....
Old 05-23-2006, 01:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

When I installed my clutch, I bled it until it caught, and it felt good that night, but it still took a few days to work all the air out of the line.

I didnt look at your mods, but I'm guessing since you're cammed, that you've got longtubes. I would really look at that hydrolic line and see how close it is to the headers, thats what caused my problems, and it sounded exactly like what yours did. Only since I cracked the slave, I couldn't get pressure back in it.
Old 05-23-2006, 02:21 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by tomss99
i pump it a few times than it feels normal.
^^^ Key symptom, right there.

There is still air in the system that needs to be bled.
Old 05-23-2006, 02:21 PM
Launching!

imma check that real fast... i dont think its that close to the longtubes but anything is worth a shot...
Old 05-23-2006, 02:26 PM
Launching!

i just took a look the line is pretty close to the last primary... its not resting on it... imma try to see how i can pull it farther away... how did you do it if i can ask?
Old 05-23-2006, 02:43 PM
Launching!

woops im a dumbass didnt see what you wrote up top
Old 05-23-2006, 03:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

You're probably not gonna be able to get it more than an inch or so away, but heat wrapping it with thermal tape and running some heavier fluid might help.

You might try bleeding the clutch first and see what happens.