Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

shift skip on my ta buckin and shakin? help please

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2006, 06:44 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default shift skip on my ta buckin and shakin? help please

bought a crisp ws6 in june and its my first manual, . . stored it and jus brought it out about two months ago, . . when i shift skip from 1st to 4th it grinds horribly and rpms down to like 500, . . its shakes and bucks back and forth like its havin a nervous breakdown, . . i thought it was cuz im getting used to drivin manual but it still does that, .. my question is, . . do you think i bought a cammed TA? anyone with a cammed ls1 have this trouble?? i also notice in the parkin lots, drivin behind the elderly people annoy me cuz they drive too slow and dont want to slip it into nuetral and 1st all the time so i try to keep it in 1st and then it starts shakin a bit, . . i listened for the springs, to see if it sounds aftermarket, . . . i hear somewhat of a sewin machine affect, . . . . . i don't know maybe i'm jus hopin its already cammed and save me some money!
Old 05-26-2006, 10:00 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Get it dynoed and you might be able to tell if it is cammed. Maybe if it is the tune is off.
Old 05-26-2006, 10:01 PM
On The Tree

The car will buck if the rpms get below 700 ish. Sounds like you just arnt driving it right, let the clutch out slowly when shifting to 4th.
Old 05-27-2006, 12:27 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

odds are you are taking too long with the skip shift activated AND shifting too early into the skip shift. This has the nasty effect of dropping your rpm quite low to the point of stalling. Hence the bucking.

If you're going to skip shift, at least let it rev up a little bit more than normal, then with a proper 1-2 shift the "extra time" it takes going 1-4 will let the rpm drop right to where the transmission is spinning in order to do the skip shift properly. Also try not to let the clutch "bang" into 4th. It's a big change in ratio one second its revving 2krpm, the next its around 1krpm...
Old 05-29-2006, 09:06 AM
TECH Fanatic

just get a skip **** eliminator. 1st-4th is retarded and makes driving the car no fun.
Old 05-29-2006, 10:08 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by BrandonDrecksage
just get a skip **** eliminator. 1st-4th is retarded and makes driving the car no fun.

It's also a big safety hazard

I remember a few occasions where I was forced into 4th in the middle of a turn through a busy intersection

The view of the skip shift light gets lost when you turn the wheel, so it's easy to get caught off guard

After one week, I picked up an eliminator and have been skip shift free eversince

Rick

Aztek T/A WS7 & 70 RAM AIR IV T/A
Moderator @ LS2, FAST LS1, FUELSLUT,
The F-Body Hideout, LS1Turd & ChopperForums
Old 05-29-2006, 11:52 PM
TECH Resident

the skip shift from the factory is absolutely retarded that was the first mod i did with my car going from 1st to 4th is absolutely ridiculous in my oppinion

when i want to skip a couple gears cuz im lazy i go 1st 3rd 5th and then 6th it works quite well and i think it is easier doing that then trying to bring it all the way down to 4th

but yeah for sure you are shifting to 4th way to early its bucking cuz its only turning 500 rpm
Old 05-30-2006, 12:20 PM
TECH Regular

Wait til your rpm's get higher and try not to do it if your going 15mph or less...I shift to 4th around 20 and the rpms only dip to 1000 or so. And you have to let the clutch out slowly otherwise it will buck back and forth.

Quick Reply: shift skip on my ta buckin and shakin? help please