Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Broken clutch return spring?

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2006, 01:29 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Broken clutch return spring?

I was driving around the other day at city speeds (30 mph), and when slowing down to make a turn, I engaged the clutch, and as soon as I let the pedal out, I heard an audible snapping sound coming from the footwell area, and since then, the pedal just hasn't felt right. I guess the best way to describe it is, it feels like it has 3/4 of the travel that it used to, and feels slightly mushier than before. The pedal doesn't seem to be hanging down or anything, however, yet it just feels as if i'm not pushing it as much as I did before I heard that snapping sound.

The car still behaves normally though, it's not making any strange noises, and still shifts fine for the most part, so I doubt it's a problem with the clutch itself, so I'm thinking it has something to do with the pedal. Knowing absolutely nothing about clutches, and from what others have suggested, is it possible to have snapped or stretch a return spring on the clutch pedal? Or something along those lines?
Old 06-05-2006, 04:06 PM
Staging Lane

Default Ha, just happened to me

a few things.....

take the cover off from under the dash and look to see what happened. if the spring broke look for the bushings that the spring sets in (2 black bushings) YOU WILL NEED THESE!! if you can not find them, or if you can't get them back in you have to replace your clutch pedal assemb. if the spring is binding then you can still drive it to get another till to breaks, just dont let it make groves in anything to do with the bushings! if it does break the ped will be hard as hell. the spring is easy to put in and take out, but just remember it will POP on you if you are not carefull. the spring is like $30.00. if you need help on how to install or more things to look for just p.m. me, have fun!
Old 06-05-2006, 04:07 PM
Staging Lane

oh yeah... you poped it didn't you,,, lol!
Old 06-05-2006, 06:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

Just leave it out. It won't hurt anything. Mine has been gone for almost a year now. It has little affect on pedal pressure other than to help hold the pedal down at a red light. The first half of travel the spring actually pushes against you, and at mid point it breaks over and pushes with you. LT1 cars didn't even have the spring.

Last edited by SPEEDYws6; 06-05-2006 at 06:49 PM.
Old 06-05-2006, 06:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I broke my stock one after about 15k miles... replaced it and it broke again within a month. I even had a spare and still never installed it. 4 years later i'm still doing great without it.
Old 06-06-2006, 07:40 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by xaon
I broke my stock one after about 15k miles... replaced it and it broke again within a month. I even had a spare and still never installed it. 4 years later i'm still doing great without it.
Ditto for me! Replaced one, second one broke a year later. Third one still in paper in the garage a year later. Car still drives ok!
Old 06-09-2006, 08:25 PM
Launching!

Well I finally found the broken piece of spring on the floor, so I guess that was it.

Does anyone know the part number for the spring?
Old 06-10-2006, 10:52 AM
Staging Lane

Default part #

pm me monday to remind me and i will get it for you from my parts dept.
Old 06-10-2006, 10:53 AM
Staging Lane

also, make sure you have the 2 black bushings, it is important
Old 06-15-2006, 10:50 PM
Launching!

Wel I got the spring...and my question to those of you who have replaced it, how the hell did you get it in? I got both sides of the spring into their respective slots...but how do I get the center part of the spring into the actual pedal? The spring needs to be pulled down somehow, it seems.
Old 06-16-2006, 07:28 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Wouldn't make more sense to put the center section in first and then bend one side in and then the other. That way only half the force is needed. I haven't swapped them, but that makes sense to me.