Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

New Hose Design = New Drill Mod?

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2006, 08:08 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default New Hose Design = New Drill Mod?

Hey guys, I just picked up a new factory master cylinder (LS1 12570277) and then went about to do the drill mod on it. Turns out the fitting is different from all the photos of the drill mod being done. Instead of the restriction being about 1" into the fitting, it is now right at the tip. It was about the size of a thread sewing needle. Very tiny in comparison to a 1/8 drill bit. If you get one of these newer master cylinder hoses you need a slightly smaller drill bit. Probably 3/32". I used a 1/8" as that's what I expected and all I had brought with me at the time. 1/8 works, but you have to stop drilling once it goes through the tip.
There were no other restrictions once the tip was drilled out. Maybe a mod could add this new info to the FAQ.

Last edited by JasonWW; 06-06-2006 at 08:43 AM.
Old 06-06-2006, 06:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JasonWW
Hey guys, I just picked up a new factory master cylinder (LS1 12570277) and then went about to do the drill mod on it. Turns out the fitting is different from all the photos of the drill mod being done. Instead of the restriction being about 1" into the fitting, it is now right at the tip. It was about the size of a thread sewing needle. Very tiny in comparison to a 1/8 drill bit. If you get one of these newer master cylinder hoses you need a slightly smaller drill bit. Probably 3/32". I used a 1/8" as that's what I expected and all I had brought with me at the time. 1/8 works, but you have to stop drilling once it goes through the tip.
There were no other restrictions once the tip was drilled out. Maybe a mod could add this new info to the FAQ.

Interesting because I ran into this exact same issue a couple years ago when doing the drill mod and the stock clutch. Weird.
Old 06-07-2006, 06:50 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Dal1as
Interesting because I ran into this exact same issue a couple years ago when doing the drill mod and the stock clutch. Weird.
Was that already on your car or did you buy a new master cylinder a couple of years ago?

Maybe GM had 2 designs and one is much more common? I don't know.
Old 06-07-2006, 09:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by JasonWW
Was that already on your car or did you buy a new master cylinder a couple of years ago?

Maybe GM had 2 designs and one is much more common? I don't know.

Yeah it was the original master and everything. Ran into the exact same issue. I think the 02's are more a hybrid of parts than any of the other years. Have the LS6 block also. Damn mutt of a car. Ha!
Old 12-01-2006, 11:24 PM
TECH Regular

I noticed the same thing. I did the drill mod on my 2000 stock line, and the 1/8 drill bit was just slightly larger than the entrance in the line. I also did the drill mod on the new line on the master I purchased this month and it was much larger initially, so I drilled with a smaller bit and then worked up to the 1/8. In both cases, the drill bit eventually slid all the way in once the restriction was gone.

Also, when trying to clear the line of any remaining metal shavings, I just hooked the line up to an old slave and filled the slave up at the bleeder and tilted to let the fluid run through the line - nice stream with a smaller mess :-)

Last edited by MrEddie; 12-01-2006 at 11:51 PM.
Old 12-02-2006, 07:39 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I have an 02 and I used a 1/8" bit. It fit and it felt like I drilled in stages. I drilled approx 1/2" and I was clear, so I kept pushing and I found another part/stage that I drilled 1/2" thorugh and then I was inside the steel braided line. All stock.
Old 12-02-2006, 02:34 PM
On The Tree

I did the drill mod on my stocker worked good untill i took the engine out then i broke the line and order the mccloed line and it didnt have any restriction.

Last edited by speedyss; 12-02-2006 at 02:36 PM. Reason: worded wrong

Quick Reply: New Hose Design = New Drill Mod?