Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Some stupid questions for an idea I have...

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2006, 03:44 PM
Rehab is for quitters...

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Some stupid questions for an idea I have...

Is this correct?
Originally Posted by stevieturbo
the GTO shifter you are using, is the furthest back location available.

Camaro T56 sits about 3" further foward, and the Viper sits on the other square plate on the top of the trans, about 6" further forward again.
If so, my dumb questions are:

1. Would the GTO T56 move the shifter back 3"? (Allowing a shift of the engine and trans forward yet keeping the stock shifter location?)
2. Is it just the shifter or is the whole tranny longer?
2. Would a GTO T56 work in an F-Body?

I have heard of lowering the entire engine with modified mounts or K-member, but has anyone moved the engine forward?

I see these turbo setup with modified radiator locations and it seems that there is plenty of room to move the engine forward say the 3" as asked above? Is this possible?

I am just wondering if this is even possible or has been tried to help fit a top mounted supercharger in an F-body without cuting the cowl and all the **** that that entails.
Old 06-16-2006, 03:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

On the T56 trans there are 3 different locations that you can put a shifter in...This being said you can obviously mount it wherever it is most convenient for your application...It would not move it forward if you used the last position as is...You would just have to fab up a custom console...
Old 06-16-2006, 04:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 98turbls1
On the T56 trans there are 3 different locations that you can put a shifter in...This being said you can obviously mount it wherever it is most convenient for your application...It would not move it forward if you used the last position as is...You would just have to fab up a custom console...
Thats the same thing I was thinking. Seems like if you moved the shifter 3 inches either way, you would have to cut your console. Guess it could be done, but not without cutting.
Old 06-16-2006, 05:38 PM
Rehab is for quitters...

I am asking if the shifter itself can be moved back, can the whole engine and tranny be moved forward with some customizing thus putting the shifter back into the stock position.

What I am after is to see if it is possible to move the engine forward in the bay approx. 3" to allow for a roots style twin screw supercharger without cuting up the cowl or the interior.
Old 06-16-2006, 05:53 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,386 Likes on 875 Posts

Ever heard of front to rear weight distribution?

Andrew
Old 06-16-2006, 05:56 PM
Rehab is for quitters...

Originally Posted by Project GatTagO
Ever heard of front to rear weight distribution?

Andrew
And the 3" changes that how much?

Besides you can't add any supercharger or turbo kit without adding weight somewhere on your car, so does everyone "rebalance" there F/R weight ratio...

Thanks for the input.

Last edited by XtinctZ28; 06-16-2006 at 08:42 PM.
Old 06-16-2006, 06:16 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,386 Likes on 875 Posts

Its not just the added weight, but also the position of the weight. So now on top of that you want to move the engine and trans 3 inches. Its been a while since I took an engineering class, so someone can help me out there, but 3 inches is a pretty big deal.

I guess thats one of the advantages of an STS setup. It improves weight distribution.

Just to give you an idea of how critical this is, some circle track classes allow a reverse mount bellhousing. What this does is move the position of the starter from the block, to the backside of the bellhousing. This moves the starter (what 20 pounds?) closer to the center of the car for better balance.

Andrew
Old 06-16-2006, 07:11 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think it would be easer to cut the cowl.. you'd need a new trans cross member the shifter would be in the radio... you'd have to do something with the rad and fans... Changing plugs in these things is enough of a job the way everything is packaged imagine if you do a little shade tree engineering this deffently crosses into the build a racecar catagory
Old 06-16-2006, 08:33 PM
Rehab is for quitters...

Originally Posted by Project GatTagO
Its not just the added weight, but also the position of the weight. So now on top of that you want to move the engine and trans 3 inches. Its been a while since I took an engineering class, so someone can help me out there, but 3 inches is a pretty big deal.

I guess thats one of the advantages of an STS setup. It improves weight distribution.

Just to give you an idea of how critical this is, some circle track classes allow a reverse mount bellhousing. What this does is move the position of the starter from the block, to the backside of the bellhousing. This moves the starter (what 20 pounds?) closer to the center of the car for better balance.

Andrew
Obviously I have alot to learn! That is good info. Thanks for the input.
Old 06-17-2006, 04:28 AM
Staging Lane

trade your car in and get a vette problem solved. I see what you mean trying to move the engine forward but you what the engine the closest to the middle as you can get it.