Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

transmission problems (m6)

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2006, 06:40 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy transmission problems (m6)

I've just recently started having problems putting my car in gear. At idle, the gears are hard to engage. I have to put it in second at stop signs before it will go into first. As I run through the gears I notice that it is tough to get it in each gear? I'm wondering what all could cause this type of problem. Throw out bearing, flywheel loose, etc...? Any help is appreciated.
Old 06-16-2006, 07:16 PM
Teching In

Default forgot to mention

I'm new here so forgive me for being stupid. My ride is a 99 SS. Probably need to know that to give useful advice.

No mods to speak of. High flow lid, skip shift bypass, thats it for now. Looking at adding a Squires rear mount turbo but having mixed emotions-can't aford to blow my engine.
Old 06-16-2006, 07:32 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When my clutch was going out it was harder and harder to get it into gear while rolling. Test out the clutch by putting it into 5th or 6th at maybe 45MPH and watch your RPM's, if they climb faster than your Speedo then its slipping and its time you change it.
Old 06-16-2006, 07:55 PM
Teching In

I tried that, doesn't seem to slip in 5th or 6th. I have noticed some slipping when shifting hard from 1st to 2nd instead of barking the tires it smokes the clutch sometimes(nice huh). I read about a mod where you drill out the orifice on the hydraulic line. Not sure I want to try that. If I fan the clutch with high rpms in first leaving the line it doesn't bite either. Nice burning smell fom the clutch though! If I dump the clutch it lites up the tires? Its done that since I've had it. I bought it with about 20K miles on it. 76K now.
Old 06-16-2006, 11:19 PM
TECH Regular

It could be the slave or that you have air in the system. Or u need to change the transmission oil.
Old 06-16-2006, 11:36 PM
Teching In

definately sounds like a clutch problem.
Old 06-17-2006, 01:50 PM
Teching In

I was going to bleed the hydraulics to see if that would help. I wonder how much money the butt heads at GM saved by putting the bleed valve there.

Is there a special tool from GM to open and close the bleed valve? It doesn't make sense to me for them to have put the valve there. Surely they had some plan for their mechanics to access this thing without pulling the engine.

Quick Reply: transmission problems (m6)