Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Ram HD gets its 1st test!!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2006, 03:09 AM
9 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Ram HD gets its 1st test!!!

Car hit 500 miles of grandma style baby-ing miles today. Ram HD w/ billet steel FW.

Lined up with an AFR head/cam built corvette.

Felt great on the launch. He was nice enough to give me the boogie since he was much more modded than I.........I was holding my ground until I missed 3rd and the stick got stuck somewhere in the 3rd gear area for like 5 seconds. I almost **** thinking my tranny or clutch was shot. I have missed a gear or two before but this was the first time that it felt stuck.

I returned to the starting line and made a practice run by myself and missed 4th.

I felt like a T56 noobie or something but I am honestly a damn good driver and have been driving stick my whole life.

I got home and my short stick was loose a F$#@. Guess you really do need locktite.

I learned 3 things:

1. I need more seat time with my new clutch.
2. Use locktite on shifter
3. T56-rebuilds/LS1Joe here I come

Any other suggestions on anything else that might have happened? Bleeding issue maybe? Car is a 2001 and HAS the drill mod already.
Old 06-18-2006, 10:38 PM
9 Second Club

up for any possible advice
Old 06-18-2006, 10:47 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sounds like its time for an Aftermarket shifter

The stock shifter is crap, and missing gears is a great way to ruin the trans. I believe that is the reason my 3rd gear synchro is going out.

Pick up a Pro 5.0, I couldn't be happier with mine. You'll never miss 3rd again, its a night and day difference
Old 06-18-2006, 11:58 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by Domestic Demon
Sounds like its time for an Aftermarket shifter

The stock shifter is crap, and missing gears is a great way to ruin the trans. I believe that is the reason my 3rd gear synchro is going out.

Pick up a Pro 5.0, I couldn't be happier with mine. You'll never miss 3rd again, its a night and day difference
I have always been more than happy with my factory hurst. Never gave me a problem before

I need to check out a couple more things:

1. Check my homemade adjustable master cylinder rod.
2. Jack up the rear and make sure my wheels don't spin with the clutch in and trans in 1st

Worst comes to worst comes to worst..........I will get a pro 5.0 and NICE rebilud form t56-rebuilds. That is just a damn expensive fix! Espicially when I am just finishing ordering parts for my H/C swap.......plus I am still on a 10 bolt
Old 07-02-2006, 11:54 PM
9 Second Club

UPDATE:

Went to the track for the first time on my new clutch. I LOVED it. It also did not break which is always a good thing.

I got in 4 runs, none of which with record setting 60fts though. I was on a 26x9.50x16 Hoosier QTP that I could not make work all day. My 60 foots ranged from 1.91-->2.19.

It was over 100* that day and god knows how hot on the track......maybe it was greasy out there, whoknows. I was spinnign like a motha on 3 launches....and bogged one.

I also got a por 5.0 and it is okay. Feels funny in neutral but shifts nice. I did miss 4th on my last pass.
Old 07-03-2006, 12:34 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by ninetres
I have always been more than happy with my factory hurst. Never gave me a problem before
Factory hurst with a shorter handle such as the UMI short stick is what I'm running. I see absolutely no point in spending 180 or so bucks to pick up a pro 5.0. If you dont have a short stick for your shifter. Spend the 27 bucks and get one haha, I love it
Old 07-03-2006, 12:37 AM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by Jimmard
Factory hurst with a shorter handle such as the UMI short stick is what I'm running. I see absolutely no point in spending 180 or so bucks to pick up a pro 5.0. If you dont have a short stick for your shifter. Spend the 27 bucks and get one haha, I love it
Read my above post

I had a short stick on my hurst too.
Old 07-03-2006, 12:43 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by ninetres
Read my above post

I had a short stick on my hurst too.
Ah I see. Well let me know if you get a pro 5.0 I wanna know if the difference is big enough to warrant spending the money on a 5.0.
Old 07-03-2006, 06:38 AM
TECH Enthusiast

The biggest difference between the 5.0 and the stock, is the 5.0 is solid. The stock shifter flexes way too much, the 5.0 has no flex. I never miss now. The only thing is it is a little noisy, which doesn't bother me. The only complaint is the throw isn't short enough.
Old 07-03-2006, 02:27 PM
TECH Enthusiast

pro 5.0 has stops also, some say they prevent bent shift forks...

I ahve a Ram Powergrip HD as well, it has been sitting in my garage for 4 months.. i need to get off my *** and put it in
Old 07-03-2006, 02:29 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Firechikn
The biggest difference between the 5.0 and the stock, is the 5.0 is solid. The stock shifter flexes way too much, the 5.0 has no flex. I never miss now. The only thing is it is a little noisy, which doesn't bother me. The only complaint is the throw isn't short enough.
It's not the shifter that flexes, it's the handle which has rubber between it and the shifter to absorb vibrations and sound. When I switch to a UMI handle, all the flex went away.
Old 07-03-2006, 04:06 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Jimmard
It's not the shifter that flexes, it's the handle which has rubber between it and the shifter to absorb vibrations and sound. When I switch to a UMI handle, all the flex went away.
EXACTLY. I see so many people talk about the stock hurst shifter & missin gears cause it flexes. It is the stupid stock shift stick, not the base unit. Everysince I got my WS6store short stick I haven't missed a shift & when its in gear its solid.

Quick Reply: Ram HD gets its 1st test!!!